Question Abought UV light.

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

All Ex

Question Abought UV light.

Post by All Ex »

Does anybody know if the UV light will harm my sensor?
I don`t expect to take advantage of the UV light as I don`t have the proper sensor since I have thought a 375 nm lamp, I`m thinking to experiment with some affordable lenses.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

AlxndrBrg

Post by AlxndrBrg »

Dont think you need to worry, unless you have special (quartz glass?) lenses made for UV photography you wont ever get any UV light reaching the sensor, unless you shine the light directly on it

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

But it can damage your eyes for sure...do wear quality protective eyeglasses
Pau

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

My objectives would be UV ones but my tubes won't.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

Pau, we are posting at the same time.
I know the danger, so I`m enclosing it in a pipe sliced as to light only the specimen. Inside the pipe, I'll place a metal sheet for reflection towards the specimen and for protection towards me.
I don`t think the reflection on the specimen would have enough power.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Likely the UV filter over the sensor will cut most if not all UV and you only will get some violet light. A more promising application is to put a filter over the lens to cut that violet light (light yellow usually would do) for detecting the fluorescence of the sample.
Pau

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

Pau wrote: A more promising application is to put a filter over the lens to cut that violet light (light yellow usually would do) for detecting the fluorescence of the sample.

I suppose you mean to put a yellow filter behind my objective otherwise how can I interfere a filter between a microscope objective and a specimen, witch as I guess would be very close as my objective won't be a mitu one with LWD as I don`t intend for a simple experiment to spend more than a thousand euros.
I expect to be a Brightfield one.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Yes, if you use a microscope objective the right place for the filter is behind it, not only to do not cut working distance but also to avoid spherical aberration.
Pau

All Ex

Post by All Ex »

Thanks Pau.
Have a nice weekend.
All--Ex
My YouTube initial video

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic