Heat resistant super black body compound

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Heat resistant super black body compound

Post by Lou Jost »

Just in case someone needs a heat-resistant material or if someone needs a good black-body radiator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqR4_UoBIzY

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Interesting!!

Reminds me of the silica foam that's was used on the Space Shuttle tiles. There was an old video of a 2" cube that was heated red hot and picked up by the corners with bare fingers (no gloves). The thermal resistance of the foam was so high that it couldn't deliver enough heat to the fingers from the cube corners to burn.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I wonder if thermal resistance may be more important than black-body radiation to explain the videographer's ability to touch the material right after it is red-hot. He said it was due to the efficient radiation of heat....

johan

Post by johan »

mawyatt wrote:Interesting!!

Reminds me of the silica foam that's was used on the Space Shuttle tiles. There was an old video of a 2" cube that was heated red hot and picked up by the corners with bare fingers (no gloves). The thermal resistance of the foam was so high that it couldn't deliver enough heat to the fingers from the cube corners to burn.

Best,
had to see that - insane!

https://interestingengineering.com/vide ... bare-hands
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lou Jost wrote:I wonder if thermal resistance may be more important than black-body radiation to explain the videographer's ability to touch the material right after it is red-hot. He said it was due to the efficient radiation of heat....
I expect the key factors are very low thermal mass of the outer layer, combined with high resistance (good insulation) to lower layers. Those two factors would mean not much heat available to burn the fingers.

Then efficient radiation makes the stuff cool down even faster. But I think that's not so important. An isolated sheet of aluminum foil can be heated red hot and touched without pain only 3 seconds after removing the torch. (Yeah, I just now checked.)

--Rik

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Rik, yes, I have done that with aluminum foil too. Even thicker aluminum works if you are fast!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lou Jost wrote:Rik, yes, I have done that with aluminum foil too. Even thicker aluminum works if you are fast!
Ah, well, being fast with the touch is a different mechanism. I really should have said "squeezed", not "touched", when talking about the aluminum foil.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic