Background device for gradients

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pizzazz

Background device for gradients

Post by Pizzazz »

Hi Gang!

I like using different items for my background, and I like creating gradients where I think the image will be enhanced. I created a little device to help me adjust my background in relation to the subject and wanted to pass along my idea.

I use lab scaffolding in my setup, so a simple and eloquent solution came to mind; a stage that can tilt forward and backward in relation to the subject, thereby allowing light to fall off gradually or dramatically.

It is composed of a thin piece of plywood with thin cork adhered to the camera side and a block of wood on the rear side. The block of wood has a .5 inch hole to accommodate a .5 inch dowel so it can be attached to the scaffolding. The dowel fits firm through the block, creating a “friction” fit, preventing the face plate from moving.

With this, I can clamp any type of paper material and use it at any angle towards or away from the subject. I can throw “color” behind my subject and create gradients in color or black and white.

The following photos show the device (on my work bench) by itself, in place, and some sample, UN-altered photos using a white and colored background and tilting it away from the subject. Note that these photos were not stacked, or color/density corrected, as the intent was to show the background results.

Mike

canonian

Post by canonian »

Great idea and well executed.
I like the fiber optic holders, the popsicles. :D

Pizzazz

Post by Pizzazz »

Hi There!

Yes, this works well for me. The Popsicles do very well to
hold the business end. I have to make new ones if I get any
fiber optic lights that are a different size.

I guess we have to improvise if we do not have an Edmunds
outlet store near by! :)

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic