See our insects (any object/animal) up to 360 degrees - 3D

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ofarcis

See our insects (any object/animal) up to 360 degrees - 3D

Post by ofarcis »

Hi all,

Although this project mentioned above, I will explain it in English (previously only see in Spanish) if it is of interest to you. The effort to explain it brings me so much if I see that there is interest continue or not with it.

To understand the first project I would like to see an example:

http://www.tuplaneta.es/foros/viewtopic ... c&start=26
(I'm sorry but this forum does not support attaching a SWF Adobe Flash file, it's only an example. You can change the velocity, change the type of movement and stop the animation.)

The first thing to say that this project is completely free (software) for personal (non-commercial) and you can do easily.

INTRODUCTION:

Always wanted to present my 3D moving objects or quality but the problem is that formats like GIF animations are very poor (only 256 colors for all frames). Using Virtual Reality was very complicated and the results were not good, use a high-resolution video but was very heavy in megabytes. Other stereoscopic techniques I did not like.

The only solution was to go back to the beginning of the film, a recording of frames to form a movement. Also needed to control the speed and even stop the animation and see a frame in detail. I also needed that had millions of colors and a large size.

The final solution was to make an Adobe Flash file, but as dynamic objects, the number of images, etc.., Was different for each case.

After a month I could finish my project tiring, which I present below and hope you like it, or at least may understand my effort.

THE PROJECT:

The project consists of three parts:

1. - Photographing manually moving object using a goniometer automated paper or by a stepper motor. Later I will explain how build a complete system.

2. - Should be an automated system, you can download software that I have developed to move the object in grades you want while taking pictures.

3. - Program from the photos generate the SWF adobe player file that can be included in a forum, a Web page, on the PC, etc.

A SWF file to be understood is the same to presented in the banners, menus and even websites.

Not wanting to be talking just wanted to know if there is interest to continue the explication or not.

Regards, Oscar.

I put some photos...

Sample 3D (resize to 1/4 of real size):

Take pictures manually with Goniometer paper:

Automatic device controlled by PC and software:

Software to move the stepper motor and take pictureswith any program like DSLR Remote, NK Remote, etc.:
Movimiento=Movement
Grados=Degree
Fotogramas=Frames or pictures
Giro antihorario=Counterclockwise
Configuracion=Setup
USB/Paralelo=USB or Parallel port connection to stepper motor
Puerto Paralelo=Parallel I/O port address
Pasos del motor=Steps of motor
Fotografía=Take picture
Programa=Program to take the picture
Tecla=Key send to program
Segundos=Wait seconds

Software to made SWF files from images:
Fotogramas=Frames
Añadir=Add
Invertir orden=revert order
Borrar/Borrar todo=Delete frame/Delete all frames
Filtros=Filters like adjust images
Directorio destino=Output directory
Mineral=Name of object, insect, mineral, etc.
Descipción=Description
Velocidad=speed
Vaivén=Left-right/right-left movement
Etiqueta=see or not the name/description
Calidad=Compress ratio
Tamaño=Size
Fondo=Color background
Ajuste con bandas=Special adjust with black band
Proceder=Process

Example of laughter: http://www.tuplaneta.es/foros/viewtopic ... c&start=53

Picking a good background, reflected light: http://www.tuplaneta.es/foros/viewtopic.php?t=16375

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice!

As I read this:

1. There is one program to control an automated capture device that does both rotation and focus stepping.

2. Stacking is done with a separate program, not shown here.

3. There is another program, independent of image capture and stacking, that takes a series of images and creates an SWF animation from them.

Do I have this correct?

--Rik

ofarcis

Post by ofarcis »

Hi Rik,

More or less. Currently not ready for macrophotography, but one of the ideas I have for a long time ago is to apply it to the macro picture.

Today is step 1 and step 3. Respect to point 1, calls an external program to take the photo. For example the NK Remote or any other program that a computer key by taking a picture.

Sooner or later I will make a version that integrates everything moving motor, camera control, program call stack and SWF file generation. Besides being available in English and Spanish. But for now this is hard work and not a priority.

However, anyone can use the current project and submit insects without a photomicrograph. You can used or not stacking.

After many years photographing minerals with more or less success, could never teach them the way I wanted because do not forget that a photo is a 2D representation. Finally with this project got what I wanted.

Imagine those photos as beautiful insect which really impressed him because it rotates.

Regards, Oscar.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Have you tried using the free autodesk123d catch to convert your crystals into 3D objects ? I've tried with insects but ithey are just too complicated for this level of software. I've had a pet project for a while to render stacked insect images onto a wireframe but it is just a bit beyond my resources :)
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

ofarcis

Post by ofarcis »

Not AndrewS. Because all my minerals are different, i can't generate an wirefire for one. The autodesk program generated a poor model of my objects with very poor quality of images.

The first goal is to have an high quality 3D object (360º or less) with an any app very easy to use. In my app, with three simple steps you have made one model.

Compare this example in 3D view: http://www.123dapp.com/3dcr-Creature/Finch/1201080 (select 3D View) and my example http://www.tuplaneta.es/foros/viewtopic ... c&start=26 (you can change the speed from 12 to 24 in the right-up conner).

The appearance of the model seems Autodesk cartoon while my solution is totally real.

If you want to see more examples in 3D with better or worse quality, you can see my collection at: http://www.tuplaneta.es/foros/viewtopic.php?t=16370. All pictures are make with cheap bridge CanonPowerShot SX110IS camera.

I warn you, as there are many 3D objects takes a while to load.

If you need more examples i can put more links of other collections.

Regards, Oscar.

ofarcis

Post by ofarcis »

Hi to all,

In the next two weeks i concentrate my development in 360º/3D project: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=19930.

If anyone is interested in this project or the software can ask me. You can see a preview of the new interface here. This software is based of my Macrofotography Control Software and my two program developed in the last two years of 360º/3D (this preliminary version is in Spanish):

Translation to English:

- CAMARA section of app is CAMERA functionality from app.

- The goniometer is to define the angle that you like to move the object. Have some buttons like; 3d (move the object 360º), 1/2 move 180º, 1/4 move 90º. 0 button reset all angles defined.

To work, only need to put the object from camera and use the app.

-A and +A is to add or sub angle to the current number of photos (Fotografías = photos).

- -F and F+ is to add or sub photos to the current angle defined.

- More easy, if uou press in any angle o goniometer automatic define the angle and the mirror to move the object. If require to adjust the numer of photos, ask you.

- With "Fotografía 360º/3D (is Photography 360º/3D) you can define the animation result like; Velocidad (speed), Vaivén (when go to the end go to the star with continuous movement), size of animation (little, medium and high), orientation (landscape or portrait), quality of animation (be default 88%) and back color and ajustament.

- The new toolbar below of imagen can zoom in/out the image with not loss quality of image and center the object in the animation.

- The Configurar (setup) button is to configure the app.

- The Procesar (process) button i to made the animation in SWF format.

Regards, Oscar.

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Hello Oscar,

This is very intriguing - and your self portrait made me laugh!

Regards,
David

ofarcis

Post by ofarcis »

:D :D :D Precisely what I did to laugh a while my son and me. Although it was difficult, we help with a swivel chair office use.

If anyone wants to see directly what we are talking about, the direct link is:

http://www.tuplaneta.es/foros/viewtopic ... c&start=53

If you change the speed you from 8 to 24 looks better. Parameter "Velocidad" is changed in the upper right.

Quite a few fans put test examples in this forum post.

Best regards, Oscar.

ofarcis

Post by ofarcis »

Hi all,

Here you have a video camera Canon draft where you can see how easy and fast it is to create a 3D animation with this new software "All in One".

http://youtu.be/xI047JnNwPY
(subtitles in english)

You can see the result here: http://www.tuplaneta.es/foros/viewtopic ... 40&start=7

Best regards, Oscar.

ofarcis

Post by ofarcis »

Hi to all,

Here can see one video of final version of 3D/360º for Nikon cameras program in Spanish version. In few days will have available in English and German language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRYYBJqzMd8

This final version include:

- Total control of camera (now available in Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras).
- Total control of motor and rotation.
- Can simulate the final 3D animation without take pictures.
- Can center the mineral, gem or any object.
- Can specify; number of pictures, speed, fro movement, size (small, medium, big), orientation (vertical, horizontal), quality, background color.
- Can use filters like; zoom, center, contrast, brightness and color balance.
- Can adjust parameters and create 3D animation without take pictures again.
- Etc.

I hope like you.
Regards, Oscar.
Last edited by ofarcis on Thu May 30, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

In reply Oscar I do like this very much but as always I have to say that I am not an engineer and I ask what modules do you need to purchase from where to construct the device and how do you put them together/wire them all up please.

Thanks

John

ofarcis

Post by ofarcis »

Hi John,

I'm not engineer too, only computer engineer but you have some ways to use an automatic device:

1.- Buy an device. You need to contact in MacroRail.com.

2.- Build one. You can read this: http://www.tuplaneta.es/foros/viewtopic.php?t=16786
(need to use google translator)

This is the explanation to build the device that you see in the videos.

About the electronic, to connect the step motor to PC & App, you can see this: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=19824

If you decide to start to build one device, ask me here.

I don't take pictures to insects, but imagine how you would see a bee, for example in 3D, should be incleible, much better than any flat macro picture.

Regards, Oscar.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thank you Oscar. My interest is in Botany and in particular mosses. I think that this technique will give great results.

I will consider which build option to follow.

Is English/Canon soon? Or available now in software?

John

ofarcis

Post by ofarcis »

Now, the software is available for Canon and Nikon DSLR Cameras in spanish version.

This weekend I will prepare and send the list of terms to people that translate the program in English and German language. I hope to have the english version ready about the end of next week.

I development the app to have demo version valid for one month with watermark result.

Regards, Oscar.

ofarcis

Post by ofarcis »

Hi to all,

This is the application interface in English.

Regards, Oscar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic