How to record the XY position of slide

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

yanyading

How to record the XY position of slide

Post by yanyading »

The side locator of stage can help, however different brand microscope stage differs, ok, I am thinking of paint a white dot on the slide as X 0.0 and Y 0.0 at the left top, then new problem arise, my Olympus stage locator does not design as my wish, it reads about 15x.x, and I want the number increasing, but it it decreasing...

* hope i describe well *

So, any ideas and experience... thank you :)
--
UV is the Key to High Resolution Microscopy

DaveBH

Post by DaveBH »

Electronic position-sensitive scales with zeroing LED or LCD readouts, as are commonly used on machine tools, would be ideal, but even the smallest I've seen are too large for fitting to a microscope stage. I'm sure they are made in sizes suitable for, say, industrial measuring microscopes, and possibly even smaller than that. I haven't thought to look until now, although it is an interesting idea.

cheers
DaveBH
Last edited by DaveBH on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

How about entering the stage locator numbers into a simple spreadsheet that computes whatever coordinates you want to use?

For example:

--Rik

Carduus

Post by Carduus »

Surely the important thing is to know the true (x,y) co-ordinates in mm from a designated corner of the slide. If you're keeping permanent slides for reference then I'd have thought you'd already have some kind of label on them, in which case you wouldn't necessarily need a white dot so long as you always put the slide in the same way round (e.g. label on the left).

Rik's spreadsheet idea looks fine for what you want. If you need to examine the same slide on different microscopes, with different stage scales, then it should be simple to work out a calibration for each microscope and put that into a spreadsheet formula. Once your spreadsheet is set up, then entering the co-ordinates of a slide on one microscope would let you see both the absolute (x,y) values in mm and in 'stage numbers' for any other microscope.

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Post by Joseph S. Wisniewski »

I do exactly what Rik suggests, micced a slide, got the corner coordinates of it with both stages, and viola.

They really do make the readout units that Dave suggested, if you need more precision. They have them for both inspection and plain old biological scopes. I see them all the time on the bay of e.

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

DaveBH

Post by DaveBH »

All this is well and good, but my subjects keep wiggling around and changing position... I guess I would need to fit them with (micro)GPS then?

/kidding 8>)

DaveBH

yanyading

Post by yanyading »

Thank you all, my new idea is to make new pairs of movable scale to replace the original one, the new problem is now to sweet adherence onto the original place... powerful magnet sounds good, but the stage are rarely made of steel... of course glue is a very bad option...

Or, I should stick then steel piece, then utilize magnet to stick mm labeled another steel piece scale for a moveable and adjustable option...

I keep my white dot as 0.0 absolutely position idea, when the say 10x objective reach the center of the dot, then I move or adjust my replacement two scales to 0.0, then the next reading issues is simple and clear...

Any new ideas? :)
--

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Post by Joseph S. Wisniewski »

Saw a Nikon biological stage fitted with encoders on the bay of e.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microscope-stag ... 3a7d202501

I wouldn't go near unknown encoders without matching decodes, I'm just posting to let you see some of what's out there, how they're mounted, etc. The same mounting technique could BR adapted to those remote readout calipers...[/url]

yanyading

Post by yanyading »

Thank you sir! Interesting design and possily to be DIY
--

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic