Flash project :Pimp your 40 year old ringlite !

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Rusty

Flash project :Pimp your 40 year old ringlite !

Post by Rusty »

Picked up an old Minicam ring lite from a boot sale recently......

inside was this beautifull large diameter "closed loop" zenon tube
Ideal for using at close distance to the subject , an unbroken ring of light from a relatively large surface has less diffusion requirement than a short point source tube

OK so far... but i did not want the ring in ringlite and decided to convert it to a diffused internal reflection circular flat panel by removing the original lens and black inner tube , glued some acrillic lightguide from a lcd screen to form a flat cube. In turn this flat cube was turned into a lens on the lathe ,with an opening large enough for the objective to fit through and the outside of the lens to fill up most of the space between the objective and the tube
The back area of the lens around the objective was silvered with alu foil and the lens sand blasted to help diffusion

an Old 430 ex with bust lcd screen was used to give it full ettl and manual functions from the back of the camera
tested it functions great ,very short duration, well diffused (especially with a white skirt around the housing . The exposure is consistent shot after shot
If there are any forum members interested in doing something similar i would be pleased to prepare an illustrated "How to" step by step
Daniel

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Very nice looking job! I would be interested in seeing the lcd screen pieces if you have pictures of them.

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

The ring is spot glued to hold it in place so can not dismantle to take a pic
Hope the drawing would explain the shape
note that the reflector inside wall has been cut away to transmit more light inwards
Daniel

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

g4lab wrote:Very nice looking job! I would be interested in seeing the lcd screen pieces if you have pictures of them.
Do you mean the raw material before glueing and lathing ?
It is 10mm thick clear acrylic with the diffusion dots etched to one side ' i should have some cut off in the workshop and will post a pic
Daniel

johan

Post by johan »

Super, I have an excellent old ringflash but it's a bit on the binary side, no way to vary the output at all. Sigh.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic