Can anybody recommend me a new lens

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DrLazer

Can anybody recommend me a new lens

Post by DrLazer »

At the moment I have what would be considered a "beginners" selection of lenses

- El Nikkor 50mm f/2.8
- Edmund optics Nikon 10x Achromat
- Vivitar 35mm f/2.8

The El Nik I use from 1:1 up to about 4:1, I started using it in the field before it got cold.

The Edmund Nukon I use between 8:1 and 12:1

the vivitar fills the gap, mounted the normal way around on bellows with a raynox dcr 250, and I use it between 5:1 and 7:1.

I am looking for something new. I'm not even sure what magnification range I am interested in, but I want a lens that is a step up from my current collection in terms of sharpness and lack of CA, and overall general quality. Whether it's a microscope objective, a macro lens or an enlarger. Anything really.

Of course I am expecting to be paying above $150 this time :)

If you can recommend me something any you have examples of images taken with that lens or any test results or some epic PM thread, please let me know.

Thanks!

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

The Tamron SP 90mm macro has a good reputation and is used by some members, although its use is not always stated alongside images posted.. I use the MF f2.5 version and get results with digital comparable with those I have obtained over many years with film. I have used it exclusively (sometimes with a +3 Marumi supplementary) for the past few months. The 2.8 version gives a bit more contrast.

Harold
Last edited by Harold Gough on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

DrLazer

Post by DrLazer »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a gander.

90mm f/2.5 .. isn't that a 1:2 lens? How does it perform at 4:1 still good?

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Can anybody recommend me a new lens

Post by Pau »

DrLazer wrote:the vivitar fills the gap, mounted the normal way around on bellows with a raynox dcr 250, and I use it between 5:1 and 7:1.
An easy and cheap recommendation would be a reversing ring for the vivitar. It would improve its quality.

To shot in the field a "normal" macro ( infinite to 1:2 or to 1:1) lens with FL between 50 and 100mm is very useful (I don't know what camera are you using), in the used market someones may fit in your budget
Pau

DrLazer

Re: Can anybody recommend me a new lens

Post by DrLazer »

Pau wrote:
DrLazer wrote:the vivitar fills the gap, mounted the normal way around on bellows with a raynox dcr 250, and I use it between 5:1 and 7:1.
An easy and cheap recommendation would be a reversing ring for the vivitar. It would improve its quality.

To shot in the field a "normal" macro ( infinite to 1:2 or to 1:1) lens with FL between 50 and 100mm is very useful (I don't know what camera are you using), in the used market someones may fit in your budget
Its a u4/3. what does FL mean?

johan

Post by johan »

Focal length
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

DrLazer wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a gander.

Yes, 1:2. I have alternatives for higher magnifications, in particular the Olympus OM Zuiko 38mm f2.8 auto bellows lens which I have hardly used yet for digital.

Harold

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

Harold Gough wrote:
DrLazer wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a gander.

Yes, 1:2. I have alternatives for higher magnifications, in particular the Olympus OM Zuiko 38mm f2.8 auto bellows lens which I have hardly used yet for digital.

Harold
This is the Olympus OM Zuiko 38mm f2.8 lens that Harold is referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Olympus-Om ... 2eb92a2703

This Canon 35mm f2.8 Macrophoto lens may be of interest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-35-MM-F-2 ... 4cfbe1d90f

It requires an RMS thread to be put mount for your bellows adapter size for your bellows. It is designed for reproduction of 2 to 6X. There is also a 20mm f3.5 Macrophoto lens designed for 4X to 10X (and requires the same thread size):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-20mm-f3-5 ... 58907201a5

Rich

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Harold Gough wrote:the Olympus OM Zuiko 38mm f2.8 auto bellows lens which I have hardly used yet for digital.
To clarify, I have used it a lot with film but only about once with digital (for stacking).

Here is the site for Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses (no 90mm f2.8 ):

http://www.adaptall-2.org/

and for the OMs:

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/index.html

Harold

DrLazer

Post by DrLazer »

Very interesting.

The Olympus looks pretty cool, however it is listed as "rare" on ebay is currently listed for $235 and has 22 bids. A quick search in completed listings brings up nothing. I wonder what that cookie will go for. 6 days left on it so I can do a bit of research and decide if I want part of that bidding war or not.

Those Canons look great! My Nikon 10x objective is RMS i think, so I should have the adapter already. 2x to 6x sounds like a better range as I am becoming more and more interested in field stacking rather than studio. Actually the 4x to 10x would be a nice compliment. Do you have any examples of images created with these lenses?

thanks for the suggestions thus far.

canonian

Post by canonian »

Craig, I 've heard the Durst Neonon 80mm is quite good :D:D:D
If I had to choose ( and had the funds for it) I would go for the Mitutoyo M or BD Plan APO 10X , combined with the Surplus Shed Morfonon (not available anymore), when I see what other members like Matthias gets out of this combo.

There is one on sale right now : http://www.ebay.com/itm/330643660751

I started bidding but it is way out of my reach by now.

EDIT: Gone, at USD 265$
Last edited by canonian on Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturephoto1

Post by naturephoto1 »

DrLazer wrote:Very interesting.

The Olympus looks pretty cool, however it is listed as "rare" on ebay is currently listed for $235 and has 22 bids. A quick search in completed listings brings up nothing. I wonder what that cookie will go for. 6 days left on it so I can do a bit of research and decide if I want part of that bidding war or not.

Those Canons look great! My Nikon 10x objective is RMS i think, so I should have the adapter already. 2x to 6x sounds like a better range as I am becoming more and more interested in field stacking rather than studio. Actually the 4x to 10x would be a nice compliment. Do you have any examples of images created with these lenses?

thanks for the suggestions thus far.
I have both of the Canon Macrophoto lenses (and have had them for quite some time; I purchased the 20mm brand new and the 35mm in EX+ condition from KEH years ago) and have only played with them and have nothing that I can provide to demonstrate their performance.

Rich

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

naturephoto1 wrote:This is the Olympus OM Zuiko 38mm f2.8 lens that Harold is referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Olympus-Om ... 2eb92a2703
I don't know why there is a suggestion that the metering is different for the bellows and the telescopic tube. The metering is Off The Film in both cases. The only difference is that the camera operates the diaphragm with the tube. (I assume that aperture priority is selected)

Harold

elf

Post by elf »

You have magnification ranges covered well, but you don't have perspective ranges covered. Or to put it another way, your lens focal lengths are all medium to wide, so a longer focal length would make the most interesting addition. A 90mm, 150mm, and 300mm lens would cover the long end of the scale.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

The Oly 38mm/2.8 previously referenced is my favourite lens, bar none. It's not quite got the resolution on subject of a good 10x/0.30 objective but the magnification range on a good bellows is probably more useful. Having said it's not got the resolution of an objective, it _is_ very sharp. And it's a joy to use. And there are some very interesting lighting gizmos you can get to go with it.

Check out Alan Wood's site linked by Harold above for more info on the system. I have the Lieberkuhn reflector but I don't yet have the mirror box, you want rare - that's it! (Been after that for years now!)

I paid a bit over £400 for my 38/2.8 if memory serves correctly, that included some currency conversion fee as I bought it from Germany. I'd buy another one ASAP if something happened to this one!

Please have a look through my posts in the technical forum, most are probably with the 10x/0.30 Nikon but a fair few are with the Oly 38/2.8...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic