Tabletop vibration

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bones

Tabletop vibration

Post by bones »

Hi people. After browsing for days on these sites, I sometimes see mention of possible equipment vibration issues. I'm aware of dslr mirror vibration etc.. As I'm going to buid a table top macro setup, would anyone have any suggestion on starting off with a good solid base that would attract minimal vibrations? I intend setting it up, when required, on my solid kitchen table. My gear consists of Nikon D7000, Sigma 70-200mm lens, a couple of Nikon dual element close up lenses, bellows and diy focusing rail. ( stackshot is in the future) Starting from the bottom up, I figure I need to get the base right first. I'm on a very limited income (pensioner) so would appreciate low cost solutions. Keep up the fantastic work and problem solving for us that are starting out in this exciting subject. thanks and regards...bones

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Welcome!

Are you planning on using Flash or continuous light for illuminating the subject for shooting?

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

the d7000 in live view will only go down to 30 shutter speed ;-(
Just shoot it......

elf

Post by elf »

I use an 18 inch X 24 inch X 3 inch granite surface plate that was inexpensive. It weighs about 80 pounds, so I'm not moving it around very often :) If I were to build another one, I'd use concrete with a thin steel sheet bonded to the top. This would give good vibration dampening plus allow the use of magnetic holders. If, as I suspect, you're going to have to move this off the table when it's dinnertime, then the concrete could be molded in sections to allow disassembly. Concrete can look quite nice if you employ some of the techniques used in making concrete countertops.

Also see Charles' barbell solution in the stickies.

dy5

Post by dy5 »

I'm a long-time lurker, grateful for all the info I've gotten here, so maybe I can contribute a bit.

A couple of inexpensive things we use at work:
- if you're worried about vibrations from the floor, put the legs of your table in buckets of sand
- for a base to work on, have a moderately heavy plate (steel, for instance) and put squash balls between the plate and the table top. Tennis balls will work, but you can choose the squishiness of squash balls (white dot, yellow dot) to match your application. Both the specimen and the camera/microscope have to be on the plate.
- high-end audio store have various vibration damping devices to go under audio equipment, but many are expensive squash ball substitutes. There are also sheets of rubber-like vibration damping material, but I don't know how well that works.

David

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

dy5 wrote:...There are also sheets of rubber-like vibration damping material, but I don't know how well that works.

David
That would be sorbothane and works very well :)

look at ebay item 250446852000
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

SONYNUT

Post by SONYNUT »

you guys must be having disco parties or something...the only problem i ever had was because i was using to thin a wire...now i just use big needles to hold subject...no problems
Just shoot it......

bones

Tabletop Vibration

Post by bones »

Hi Guys. Thankyou all so much for your input and suggestions, Going with Elfs' idea on the concrete. Aqquired a concrete paver 500mmx250mmx 40mm thick. To this I will glue, screw, bond a piece of 20mm concrete form board to enable fixing of slider rail, flash brackets, subject holder etc...I've found some sorbothane pads on Ebay so I will mount this heavy monstrosity on six of these pads. Love the idea of buckets of sand for the kitchen table legs. Thanks dy5. Keep up the fine work and thanks again everyone.Regards....bones.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic