Dry vs Oil

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harald

Dry vs Oil

Post by Harald »

Hi there,
I´m new to microscopes, and I have some questions now and then. This is a great forum 8)

What is the differense between Dry and Oil darkfield condenser ?? :roll:
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

The oil condenser must be oiled to the slide. Its illumination cone has higher Numerical Aperture (up to 1.4 in some models) and allows to use objectives with higher NA than the dry one.

The objective NA must be smaller than the condenser NA to give darkfield. Usually a dedicated dry darkfiel condenser has an NA up to 0.8 and can be used with objectives up to NA 0.65 or 0.7 while the oil one can be used up to NA 1 or a bit higher.
The dry one is convenient to use with medium power objectives because it has a wider illumination field and is easier to use. With low power objectives a darkfield stop in a brightfield condenser works great.
I can't recommend a dedicated oil dark condenser until you have some experience.
Pau

Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi Pau,
Thank you for your quick reply..
I think I will go for the dry one. The oil condenser sounded a bit complicated to me :P
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Harald,

Also, if your condenser has a "filter tray" at the bottom is is extremely easy to do darkfield (at least with a 4X, 10X, and most 20X objectives) without going to a different condenser.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic