Some Basic Help - Please?

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

grsnovi

Some Basic Help - Please?

Post by grsnovi »

I recently purchased an AmScope 7X-45X Boom Stand Trinocular Zoom Stereo Microscope along with their SLR/DSLR Camera Microscope Adapter. I'm using a Sony a65 for which I have a Vello T-adapter that allows the AmScope camera adapter to mount to the a-mount Sony. With this set up I have no aperture control. I find that I can see in brilliant stereo through he microscope eye pieces but when I take a shot using the camera what I think ought to be in focus is not. Even the camera focus peaking does not capture that plane in focus. I know that I can manually move the camera relative to the miscroscope up/down which I'm assuming is equivalent to adjusting the eyepiece for eye relief? What do I need to do to get razor sharp images? I realize that post-process focus stacking is going to be needed but I'm not getting a sharp image where I think I ought to be getting a plane in focus. Below are links to a few shots of the rig and one through the scope. I almost feel that I can get as good/better shots through my 100M28 macro lens with a Raynox 250 attached. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66254503?image=0 https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66290858?image=0

Scarodactyl

Re: Some Basic Help - Please?

Post by Scarodactyl »

There is no aperture control brcause there is no aperture to control.

I am guessing that you have a purely mechanical adapter, and that it is not in focus at the same time as your eyepieces? This is going to inherently cause problems because it pushes the optics out of their design range.

Still, even with an ideal adapter you'll never get a shot as good as your view. The stereo provides a true 3d view with two independent light paths and that gives your brain a lot of information to fill in and generally makes it look great. Each individual light path however is not of very high resolution and can't provide tack sharp images to a high mp sensor.

grsnovi

Post by grsnovi »

Thanks, yes, I know there is no aperture - my comment was meant to suggest that I'm dealing with whatever the inherent DOF is (which is small) and I'm not easily able to correlate what I'm seeing to adjusting the camera (which is only possible by either moving it up/down relative to the scope or by adjusting the focus of the scope).

The adapter from AmScope is fixed but it includes 2x optics.

So, maybe it is what it is? ...and I just need to figure out where the sweet spot is for the camera above the bottomed out position in the trinocular tube.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

The 2x adapter is appropriate, so that eliminates one concern. Some fine tuning of its height could help things but it may be that you're just running up against the limits of the optics. In microscopy we're never far from being limited by diffraction, and that's especially true with stereo microscopes. Looking at the sample photo I don't think anything is too insanely out of wack.
You could improve on this to some extent by getting a higher tier stereo microscope, but even a top tier example won't be ideal for photography.

grsnovi

Post by grsnovi »

Thanks!

I doubt there'll be a better scope in my future, this one does what I need visually (and my wife had a fit when this one arrived).

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

If you find you need better photos it would make more sense to pursue a significantly cheaper and better solution like an enlarger lens as part of an independent setup rather than an all-in-one type of dealie anyway.

grsnovi

Post by grsnovi »

Tell me more...
...I have a FF Sony as well as 2 MFT Panasonics.
How would I set up using an enlarger lens?

I do think I'm getting better photos using the 100M28 macro with a Raynox250 filter.

- Gary

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

An example is the Componon S 50mm, usuaply available for significantly less than a stereo microscope https://www.closeuphotography.com/schne ... componon-s
Good for 1-4x magnifications. It could be mounted on a stereo microscope stand and focused similarly, with a helicoid between it and the camera to adjust the magnification as well.

grsnovi

Post by grsnovi »

Looks like the SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH COMPONON S 50MM F/2.8 ENLARGING LENS can be had for about $68 on eBay.
I have a set of extension tubes for the a-mount 24MP Sony.
Looking at his configuration I would need to determine the step-up ring size and the reversing ring I'd need.
How would I figure out the reversing ring I'd need? The ID on the lens end of my tube set is 45mm but I don't know if I should be measuring ID or OD.
Maybe I ought to get the tubes for my e-mount FF?
Thanks for your help!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic