San Francisco.

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

yardman

San Francisco.

Post by yardman »

I am a New Zealander and an amateur insect photographer. In early October I will staying near San Francisco (Berkeley) for a week. Is it worth bringing my macro lens? Can anyone recommend parks, gardens or bush where I could locate bugs (or reptiles) at that time of year? I have read the posting and photographs of the Monterey Bay Aquarium and that will get a visit.

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

UC Berkeley has a botanical garden. Directions can be found by searching for it on Google. When my wife and I lived in Berkeley, we used to take walks in the hills behind the campus. Not sure what interesting things you might find there.

Doug
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

yardman

Post by yardman »

Doug. Thanks for the tip. I have made inquiries with U.C. Berkeley. They confirm Botanical Gardens is a good site for bugs but October is a bit late in the year. I will take my Macro just in case. If you leave it behind you always have use for it.

pictureted

Go south to Filoli Gardens, Woodside, CA

Post by pictureted »

If you have time, you can drive south of San Francisco to the Filoli Gardens in Woodside, CA.

http://www.filoli.org/

or go the flickr and look at shots tagged filoli or filoligardens

From there you could head to the San Mateo coast on highway 84 and visit various state parks and beaches, as well as the quaint town of Pescadero and Duarte's Tavern (lunch).
Ted

yardman

San Francisco

Post by yardman »

Thanks Ted. I will be visiting Monterey so will check out your sites on the way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic