Windows XP HELP!

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Olympusman

Windows XP HELP!

Post by Olympusman »

One of my computers (non-online stand alone) was starting to misbehave very badly. This is an imaging computer only running Windows XP. I bought it from Tiger Direct and it came with a "For Refurbished PCs" Windows XP Profesasional CD. As I was running the CD in the repair mode, I noticed that the packaging didn't have the sticker with the Certificate of Authenticy codes on it. There are two codes on it. One for the original installation and one for refurbishers. I would very much appreciate it if someone could send me a private message with one of the codes in it.

Thanks
Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

klevin

Re: Windows XP HELP!

Post by klevin »

XP? You must be kidding. What year is this? What year was XP a thing?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I still keep an XP virtual machine to run an old Nikon film scanner.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Lou Jost wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:15 pm
I still keep an XP virtual machine to run an old Nikon film scanner.
When I switched from XP to Win7 neither the SCSI card and Nikon Coolscan 4000ED scanner drivers were compatible. After buying a new card I asked Nikon in Europe with no response and Nikon USA just answered something like "model discontinued, no longer supported. You can try buying third part software" (silverfast if I recall well).

Searching into internet fora I found a nice and free solution: just changing one line in a .dll file now it works perfectly. Lazy people in that tech services!!!
If you run Win 7 I can forward you that solution, I haven't found a similar solution for Win10 and this is one of the reasons why I still use Win7 64 in my main computer.
Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Pau, I do remember seeing that somewhere; I don't remember why I didn't try it. Please do post the solution; it is a common problem for Nikon scanner users. Amazing that the tech support could not tell you that solution!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Pau wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:36 am
(silverfast if I recall well)
VueScan (https://www.hamrick.com/) is also famous for supporting old scanners on modern systems.

--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:30 pm
Pau, I do remember seeing that somewhere; I don't remember why I didn't try it. Please do post the solution; it is a common problem for Nikon scanner users. Amazing that the tech support could not tell you that solution!
Likely it was here viewtopic.php?p=218003#p218003 :D

Unfortunately now I can't find the forum were I found the solution, I just have saved the files in the computer. I'm going to PM you a Dropbox link for downloading them
If anyone else is interested, drop me a PM
Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Thanks very much Pau.

Adam Long

Post by Adam Long »

I ran my Nikon 8000ED like this on Windows 7 for a year or two, but I did encounter some problems - the ICE didn't work as normal. I have both the edited driver and probably some instructions saved somewhere if required.

When I got my drum scanners a few years back I encountered a few problems. Ideally they need native SCSI, and the system insisted on using the edited Nikon driver which of course didn't work. So I rolled back to XP with the old OS on it's own drive with a dual boot system. I used a stripped down hooky download 'black edition' of Windows XP but it has been rock solid ever since, to the extent it has outlived the second boot OS. I tend to keep it offline, but it has been online for several hours without issues.

Adam Long

Post by Adam Long »

Original thread with driver text here: https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/u ... 03.356066/

Also long-running thread here: https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/449 ... 64-67.html

It doesn't sound like getting up and running on Windows 10 is reliably simple. Vuescan remains an alternative route.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Adam,
Thanks for the links. I forgot the source of my solution and despite I found your second linked site, now I recognize (almost for sure :-k ) that I grabbed it from your first linked one
Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I still have a couple of Windows XP machines in use, mostly offline, supporting devices that have been running nicely with them for years. Since they work, I see no reason to bother with a newer operating system for those machines.

This said, if I fire up my old Nikon film scanner again, I'll try it with my daily-use Windows 10 computer. I know from experience that both Vuescan and Silverfast are vastly superior to the old Nikon scanning software (of the two, I used Vuescan more). Vuescan's author has an excellent track record of supporting older scanning hardware.

If one were using Vuescan or Silverfast software, it's not clear to me whether any Nikon driver would be needed. My somewhat distant recollection is that the computer will treat the Nikon scanner as a generic TWAIN device.

For Mike, who started this thread, I have old XP serial numbers from machines no longer in use, but doubt any of them would work with your installation disk, and there would be a fair amount of trouble in testing them. A difficulty is that Microsoft tied classes of serial number to specific categories of installation disks; an installation disk of one group might not work with a serial number from another. So even if one has a legitimate XP installation disk and a legitimate serial number, the two often will not work together.

This used to drive me nuts in the many times I rebuilt other people's XP computers. Since the computer's owner rarely had installation disks, I would use my own installation disks and the serial number from the sticker on the side of the client's machine. While this is not nefarious and sounds like something that should work, it rarely did. On the upside, I could call Microsoft, explain things, and get help. Their key question was always, "On how many computers is this serial number being used?" I could honestly answer, "One." Then they would give me an activation code that would make the serial number work fine.

However, given that Microsoft stopped supporting XP a few years ago, I doubt they would provide this assistance today.

--Chris S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic