Hello from Eastern Iowa

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

harlantk

Hello from Eastern Iowa

Post by harlantk »

I have finally signed up and registered here, occasionally lurking this forum for a while, and just getting started finally with this as a new hobby. I see I have a whole lot to learn, and that is probably the one thing that makes me happy.
I am a retired engineer (forced) and exploring something I have always wanted to do, not just observe (though that is fun too) but to do some decent photography through a microscope.
I have attempted in the past to get started, but life always buried it in the muck of life issues. At that time I bought a fair microscope from India, and was pleasantly surprised with what I could do. I bought an AmScope B120C a few months ago, and overall for the price it is fine. I decided to go forward and have ordered a Nikon Labophot 2, and to compare, An Olympus BH2-BHTU, so am anxiously waiting for them. I figure I will have to do minimum some restoration and cleaning.
Interests are in just about everything and more, but focusing on learning the micro-photography side of things.
So I holler a hello to everyone from Eastern Iowa and share my appreciation for this forum, where I have learned a lot already.
Thank you

Tim (Please call me Tim, as it is what my friends use)

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

You're very welcome Tim, you're among kindred spirits.
Both the Nikon and Olympus are from a period where there are many good parts at a small fraction of their original price, - a mixed blessing!
Fire away with questions. There's a mass of good info in the > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) forum section
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... m.php?f=29

But finding the bit you need can be tough, you may need help....
Chris R

harlantk

Post by harlantk »

Thank you ChrisR for the welcome
Yes I have been mining in the FAQ a lot plus using the search has not let me down. I hopefully have everything necessary (by end of next week) for restorations, but once I tear into these, I will know better. Worst case for a tough to find part is to find a way to have it manufactured, or a way to utilize duct tape and epoxy :))
Either way the searching for parts and the restoration for me will good exercise of my career abilities, hopefully. I might have bit off an awful big chew though???
We shall see..........
:shock:
One question, would it be a good idea to post the restorations here, lot of photos I imagine.? Maybe a test subject as well for a before and after thing. If so what section would be best for that?
Thank you
Tim

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

That would be good, Tim. In Equipment, would be fine for the stripdown, Technical Discussion for before and after images, probably..
We do have a stripdown of an Olympus, which be worth your while looking at. It'll need finding.
You'll find posts on the Nikon gear which breaks, too.

What greases do you have? You will need a Damping grease. Nye used to do a kit of samples but they don't now :(.
Last grease I needed for a Nikon was I think $856 per kg.
I bought a little from ebay item 233028536958 to try.
Search on "Damping Grease". No idea what the Chinese stuff is like, I've ordered a pot.
Good article here: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... wlomo.html
Chris R

harlantk

Post by harlantk »

Chris!! Thank you
I have ordered that grease now, and I really appreciate the info.
Special tools, grease, solvent data and such are what I still have to research. The grease was something I wondered about, I do have something like 20 various grease's, but is good to know the exact compliment.
I have done a lot of very small intricate engineering work so am not daunted at all by this and a total tear down if needed. Amateur astronomy and building my own scope including grinding the mirror, dabbled in lens making for eyepieces and such, 50 year background in electronics for medical and many designs under my belt, I am looking forward to the learning and restoring of these uScopes
Playing with the Amscope, it does ok at medium magnification, but there is a lot chromatic aberration.The fine focus is a pain as well, so I might look into that also, to see if this is something that can be made to be a decent work scope.
Thank you for the direction on where to place the restorations. All I have to do now is clean that work bench up some HA! that is a mess ATM :oops:
Now to wait for the beasties....

Tim

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

As you are prepared to spend a lot of time on scope 'repair' I believe your time would be best rewarded by working on a BH2/BHS rather than the somewhat odd BHTU. The former a better scope.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

harlantk

Post by harlantk »

Hello NikonUser :)
Oh yes I do agree, and sadly right now the BHS side of things are not within budget, but this model is a good goal in the long run. Right now working on the cheap so rather than waiting to jump in I decided to jump into the shallow end for now. And for what I will be doing at this point, is probably good I tinker on more challenging to learn the engineering thinking, but at some time in the future, yes a BHS would be a fantastic way to go. I may probably sell off these starter scopes to help fund my future choice.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestion here, I shall heed your advice as I go forward :)

Tim

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

Tim

For your adventures with an Olympus BHTU, make sure to read the repair and maintenance documents by Carl Hunsinger.

They are all available here, together with lots of other Olympus material:

http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... loads.html

Alan Wood

harlantk

Post by harlantk »

Allen:
I am honored and thank you for the info. I have found your awesome resource, downloaded the repair manual and have been reading up on the tear down and re-assembly. I am seeing that this is not going to be a short term project ( 3 months or less)
I am pleased with the detail the repair manual goes into which lends confidence to the project.
I expect that the bits and pieces will begin to arrive in a few days now, and hopefully I will have everything to evaluate by end of next week, which is good since I still have to find my bench!!
Again thank you for your help.

Tim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic