Custom built macro stacking rig

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

janders1957

Custom built macro stacking rig

Post by janders1957 »

I posted pics of this rig back in 2014 IIRC. It was my last project for myself done in my own machine shop before I closed the doors and immigrated to Australia. Events conspired to prevent me from ever getting a chance to use this. Health now dictates I find someone that can put this to good use. I am asking $600 for the entire lot. One would be hard pressed to buy everything included for that, let alone the custom machining. Buyer to pay shipping, I will pay insurance, and will require signature at delivery. AU buyers can direct deposit, from US, I'd much prefer international postal money order in AUD. Would guess shipping to US would cost around $90AUD Makes this a screaming bargain for a US buyer. IMPORTANT NOTE, the goniometer pictured, is NOT included. I sold that to my brother, who helped me get into digital photography.
Description follows:
This is a custom built rig for stacking macro photography. The Tee extrusions have three feet for stability.
The subject support post is adjustable side to side, the slide for height. T
The entire slide mechanism is adjustable fore and aft, and is dovetail mounted to this adjustable plate. The bellows is Vivitar, has an Alpha camera mount (other mounts can be found on eBay), M42 on the lens side. The bellows runs on high precision linear slides, and is moved by a high precision, backlash free lead screw inside the box. At the end of the lead screw is the actuating lever which incorporates a one way clutch bearing. The lever rests on a stop pin. There are 10 threaded holes that accept the travel stop pin. Movement occurs by lifting the
lever until it contacts the stop pin then letting it return to rest pin. Minimum increment is .001 imperial, maximum .010 imperial (.0254 to .254mm). There is approx 75mm total travel available. To return the bellows, pull the lever off the shaft, install backwards and rotate clockwise until back to the starting point. Someone clever with electronics could easily add a small stepper motor and integrate with remote shutter release to automate shooting for stacking photography. (Arduino anyone?)
There is a custom mount that slips over the lens end plate of the bellows to mount a ring flash, and there is substantial adjustment available along the lens axis. A number of lenses are included, largely enlarging lens, and microscope lens, with adapter tube.
In no particular order, lenses include:
(bought years ago, can't recall, pretty sure following 4 are enlarging lenses)
Vivitar - LU #18573 1:3.5f, 50mm
Rodenstock Omegatron 1:4.5 75mm
Rodenstock Rodagon 1:2.8 50mm
Aetna Coligar 1:4.5 135mm
Following are microscope lenses, comes with adapter tube to M42
I will simply list all the info on the lenses.
Nikon 40 0.65 160/0.17 WD0.6
Nikon 26708 M4 0.1
Palomar 20 0.40
Tech.Inst. 10 0.25 (optics -appear- ok, some oxidation on body)

Last photo, original Vivitar focus rail, Vivitar slide copy attachment
Minolta SR/M42 adapter, Prinz automatic extension tubes for Pentax
Minotla MC Rokkor-X 1:1.4 50mm
Minolta MD 1"2.8 50mm
Minolta MC Celtic 1:2.8 35mm
Super Takumar 1:3.5 35mm (M42)
Acura Diamatic 1:2.8 35mm (M42)
Hanimex 1:2.8 135mm (M42)

Macro 4.JPG
Macro2.jpg
Macro 6.JPG
Macro 9.JPG