FREE - Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner W/O Lens - Just Pay Shipping - Shipped

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

FREE - Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner W/O Lens - Just Pay Shipping - Shipped

Post by RobertOToole »

-Aug 28- Found a home for the scanners. Thanks.

Anyone need spare parts for a Minolta DiMage 5400 scanner? Qty 2 Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner W/O Lens.

Just pay shipping and you can have them or pick up in SouthBay, Los Angeles, CA, USA.

Would rather not throw these in the trash bin if I can help it. Considering that I lost money on the last 5 items that I've sold on eBay (returns mostly) I won't resort to that, no one here wants them, I will bin them.

Best,

Robert
Last edited by RobertOToole on Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scarodactyl

Re: FREE - Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner W/O Lens - Just Pay Shipping

Post by Scarodactyl »

I bet there are lots of neat components for DIYing and repurposing in those babies. Wish I wasn't already swimming in unfinished projects.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Yes, I agree 100%. I hate throwing usable goods away.

I'm taking a load of aluminum brackets, adapters and bases to the recycler today. I just can't see myself even throwing away perfectly good high-quality aluminum.
I might have close to 100 pounds maybe, more than 50 lbs for sure.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That scanner's components aren't much in demand. But after I scavenged my 14-element Nikon scanner lens from a Coolscan 9000, I sold the major components individually on eBay, and the proceeds exceeded what I paid for the whole scanner! I actually made a profit (even with eBay charges) AND got the lens!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:12 pm
That scanner's components aren't much in demand. But after I scavenged my 14-element Nikon scanner lens from a Coolscan 9000, I sold the major components individually on eBay, and the proceeds exceeded what I paid for the whole scanner! I actually made a profit (even with eBay charges) AND got the lens!
Good idea Lou but I'm over selling on eBay.

Remember the buyer that returned a 12 oz can of sprite instead of the item I sold them? I'm sure the buyer got his credit. EBay doesn't care if he was committing fraud. I posted it here on the forum.

I don't even drink sprite. #-o

Wonder if the best strategy for selling on eBay is to just send the item to people at no charge and if they pay later, you make money, if they don't well, its less hassle and stress anyway and you still get rid of the item. I'm sure 50% of the people will send the money one day. Thats a better % then I am getting now on eBay. :shock:

Sold an APO-Rodagon N 4/150 for $1500. Buyer claimed not as described, something was damaged (another fraud). The seller ran a chargeback on the sale. Ebay allowed me a single image and 200 or 300 words as evidence to counter the chargeback claim. Pretty sure I was going to lose that case also so I gave the buyer $300 refund as I didn't want to lose $1500 when the guy sends me another can of sprite as a return. So I sold the lens for net $1200 when I had higher offers from China close to $2000. I'll just keep the two other 4/150 APO-Rod-N copies I have rather than risk being ripped off again.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Or sell to forum members....

lothman

Post by lothman »

RobertOToole wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:51 am
Anyone need spare parts for a Minolta DiMage 5400 scanner? Qty 2 Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner W/O Lens.
Robert,
if it is the II version, the filmholders sell very well on ebay, much better than the electronics. Because if somebody is still using the Minolta scanner he can load and dedust the next bunch of slides while the others are scanning.
regards
Lothar

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

lothman wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:45 am
RobertOToole wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:51 am
Robert,
if it is the II version, the filmholders sell very well on ebay, much better than the electronics. Because if somebody is still using the Minolta scanner he can load and dedust the next bunch of slides while the others are scanning.
regards
Lothar
Hi Lothar,

Holders are missing. This was a special purchase.

I found 3 x of the Minolta 5400 scanners at a equipment salvage place for an absurd price, no AC cord, no holders, no manual, just the scanner unit. I didn't think twice and bought all three. Without thinking I never thought for one minute a lens or two might have been removed. I'm a little naive I think. I got lucky, 2 had lenses, one had the lens removed. The seller promised was that it would turn on and light up. No refunds, no returns. I think I got lucky this time.

Yesterday I took 130 pounds of aluminum to the recycler, old parts from photo projects, base plates, base stands, brackets, adapters. Received 0.40 cents x 130, or $52 but it was better than throwing all the metal away to go to a landfill.

Best,

Robert

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

There is the butterfly effect. After seeing your post it reminded me that I had an oldie dead scanner somewhere.
After a bit of hunting, I came across my Minolta AF-2840.
Not in the same league as the 5400, but hey, it's a freebie lens. Following your guide, the lens was retrieved.
I ordered up the holder, so now I have another piece of glass to play with.

Thanks for that Robert!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

DavyC wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:35 am
There is the butterfly effect. After seeing your post it reminded me that I had an oldie dead scanner somewhere.
After a bit of hunting, I came across my Minolta AF-2840.
Not in the same league as the 5400, but hey, it's a freebie lens. Following your guide, the lens was retrieved.
I ordered up the holder, so now I have another piece of glass to play with.

Thanks for that Robert!
Thanks, nice to know that someone besides Lothar and Lou reads my posts! :-k

I did test that AF-2840 lens here, down near the bottom of the page: https://www.closeuphotography.com/minol ... -lens-test

The sharpness was a little lower than the AF-3200 but the CA correction was super! Not a bad lens at all and better than a normal enlarger lens. The low-end Nikon film scanner lenses are similar, the 25mm, 35mm, and 48mm lenses, great CA control with limited sharpness but excellent value usually.

Glad to help.

Best,

Robert

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Thanks, nice to know that someone besides Lothar and Lou reads my posts!
I suspect a lot more than 3 avid readers. I have you bookmarked!

The downside of course is with the rise in interest and popularity of Macro, Prices for lenses,
objectives, and other previously unknown items have started to rise.
Bargains are out there, but you have to be quick, or lucky.

Keep up the good work Robert!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

...you have to be quick, or lucky.
Or better informed! And that's where this forum and Robert's work come in.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

DavyC wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:18 pm
Thanks, nice to know that someone besides Lothar and Lou reads my posts!
I suspect a lot more than 3 avid readers. I have you bookmarked!

The downside of course is with the rise in interest and popularity of Macro, Prices for lenses,
objectives, and other previously unknown items have started to rise.
Bargains are out there, but you have to be quick, or lucky.

Keep up the good work Robert!
In cases like a scanner-nikkor or Minolta scanner lens the price increases are understandable. But sometimes prices spike up for no reason. Its strange. Bought a Contax swing/tilt bellows new-old-stock still in the box for $80 in May/June. So I decided to start a project: Contax bellows mount conversion: C/Y mount to SM2 mount so anyone have a made-in-japan quality bellows with tilt, with lots clearance for full frame for less than $100 with cheap adapters. But once I get the adapters made I notice the prices on eBay are now $200-400. Nothing close to $100. So I stopped working on it and never posted it. Flanges are done. Just checked now and there are 4 Contax bellows ads on eBay, for $100 or less. Weird. The Contax bellows price spike was not my fault this time :-k

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Or better informed! And that's where this forum and Robert's work come in
Agreed!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Found a home for the Minolta scanners!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic