SOLD OUT - Mitutoyo M Plan APO 5x (unused)

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: SOLD OUT - Mitutoyo M Plan APO 5x (unused)

Post by Chris S. »

States like California has 7% import duties. . . .
No. In the United States, individual states don't have import duties, due to a strong bar against this in the U.S. constitution. While very specific exceptions can exist with authorization of the U.S. Congress, for nearly all purposes relevant to individual consumers, state duties do not exist.

Nationally, U.S. import duties on Japanese-made goods such as Mitutoyo objectives are not easy to understand (I won't pretend to). But for individual retail buyers, a $360 USD purchase should see either no or very little duty.

If one is referring to sales taxes on intrastate sales, these do exist for many states, and are typically around six or seven percent. For out-of-state purchases, these states are not allowed to levy a sales tax per se; however, to circumvent this most of them levy a "use tax" on untaxed out-of-state purchases, which amounts to the same thing. Since states largely have no way of knowing about such purchases unless the vendor tells them, individual buyers are required to keep track of untaxed purchases, self-report them, and submit payment. Officials complain that this requirement is widely disregarded.

--Chris S

RobertOToole

Re: SOLD OUT - Mitutoyo M Plan APO 5x (unused)

Post by RobertOToole »

Chris S. wrote: .......
Nationally, U.S. import duties on Japanese-made goods such as Mitutoyo objectives are not easy to understand (I won't pretend to). But for individual retail buyers, a $360 USD purchase should see either no or very little duty.
In the Pre-covid era I would travel outside the US to Japan each winter and from what I remember returning the personal duty exempt amount was $1500-1600 and the first $1000 over that was a flat 3%. So not so bad. :-k

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic