WTB : Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 20x

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

christophepelle

WTB : Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 20x

Post by christophepelle »

Bonjour, comme indiqué dans le titre, je recherche un Mitty MPlanApo 20x.
J'étudie toute proposition.
Suis en France.
Merci.
Last edited by christophepelle on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boitier Fuji x-t2, soufflet Nikon PB6, Ultra-Rail MJKZZ, Lomo 3,7x, Mitutoyo 5x/0,14 ; 7,5x/0,21 ; 10x/0,28 MPlanApo, Schneider Componon-S 50mm 2,8 , Minolta Dimage 5400 et Apo Rodagon 1x 75mm

Pawel

Re: WTB : Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 20x

Post by Pawel »

I have nice Nikons 20x and 50 perfect for makrophot. But everyone loves MITUTOYO ;-D

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Pawel wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:58 am
I have nice Nikons 20x and 50 perfect for makrophot. But everyone loves MITUTOYO ;-D
Nikon just doesn't have comparable objectives in their lineup in terms of working distance, color correction, image circle and cost.

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

good that you believe it ;-)

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Not to distract from the topic, but I've spent plenty of time shopping and reading spec sheets, not just taking peoples' word for it. Nikon Engineering objectives are an obvious comparison since they're meant to compete in this space but they are rare and expensive and still not quite matched on specs. LU plan objectives have shorter working distance and lots of axial CA. Tu plans are staggeringly expensive and still don't match on other specs. Mitutoyo objectives are nominally specced out to 30mm field coverage, nikon only to 25, and in general mitutoyo's spec tends to be pessimistic while nikon's tends to be optimistic based on peoples' rigorous testing. There are lots of useful niches Nikon fills, especially if you're looking to do higher mag work, but they aren't a drop in replacement for Mitutoyos.

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

I tested both. I stayed with TU elwd.
expensive, but Nikon specializes in imaging and Mitutoyo in measurements.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I'd never knock the TU series, Nikon does a good job and I love their products, but it's significantly more expensive and has lower working distance and resolution vs the mitutoyo. I can't directly comment on color correction or coverage, which I assume are good, but it's not rated as apochromatic or beyond a 25mm field. It's an excellent objective but not a drop-in replacement for those reasons.
It's clearly not that Nikon can't make objectives to these specs, but I'd guess that Mitutoyo being so established since the late 80s with excellent performance and relatively low pricing makes it difficult for the big four to compete profitably in that space.

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

do not rely on the WD parameter This is a result of paraphocal. Nikon has 60mm and Mitu..95 ;-P

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Of course, but the technical reason behind it isn't important in this case, only the end result. This isn't a competition between who is a better objective-making company, it's a question of which specs are most suitable for someone looking to buy a 20x objective for macro photography. If what they're looking for is a mitutoyo 20x, a different objective which costs more and has different (and in this case, likely less suitable) specs isn't a great alternative.

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

if others DO NOT KNOW the alternative but is MYTTY Mytty Mytty ;-D
Best Regards.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Pawel wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:01 pm
do not rely on the WD parameter This is a result of paraphocal. Nikon has 60mm and Mitu..95
In everything I've seen, for microscope objectives WD consistently is measured from the front of the objective. Parfocal distance is a completely different thing, measured to the shoulder of the mounting threads.

The NA and WD for Mitutoyo M Plan Apo and Nikon CFI60 TU Plan Epi ELWD are very similar. Mitutoyo 20X is NA 0.42 WD 20.0 mm; Nikon CFI60 TU Plan Epi ELWD 20X is NA 0.40 WD 19.0 mm

List prices look similar also. Today Edmund Optics is listing the Mitutoyo as $2095 USD, and the Nikon at $1809 marked down from $2010.

--Rik

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:56 pm
Pawel wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:01 pm
do not rely on the WD parameter This is a result of paraphocal. Nikon has 60mm and Mitu..95
In everything I've seen, for microscope objectives WD consistently is measured from the front of the objective. Parfocal distance is a completely different thing, measured to the shoulder of the mounting threads.
OK, I meant that the design of LONGER lenses helps to get a higher WD value.
If the NIKON TU plan 20x ELWD had a length of 95 then its WD would be longer than now. and longer.. than mitutoyo ;-)

christophepelle

A propos que pensez-vous de Olympus LMPlanFL N 20x/0,40 ? (Wd de 12mm je crois)
Est ce une bonne option, par rapport au Mity ? Et à quel prix le trouve t on ?
Merci d'avance ;)
Boitier Fuji x-t2, soufflet Nikon PB6, Ultra-Rail MJKZZ, Lomo 3,7x, Mitutoyo 5x/0,14 ; 7,5x/0,21 ; 10x/0,28 MPlanApo, Schneider Componon-S 50mm 2,8 , Minolta Dimage 5400 et Apo Rodagon 1x 75mm

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

oui, les objectifs Olympus sont très bons. Vous les trouverez à bon prix.
celui que vous avez mentionné mérite une attention particulière. N'oubliez pas non plus la lentille TUBE LENS appropriée.

christophepelle

Pawel wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:30 am
oui, les objectifs Olympus sont très bons. Vous les trouverez à bon prix.
celui que vous avez mentionné mérite une attention particulière. N'oubliez pas non plus la lentille TUBE LENS appropriée.
Que voulez-vous dire par attention particuliere ? Ol est delicat a utiliser ?
Comme lentilles j'ai des Raynox Dcr 150 et 250.
Vous avez une idée du prix moyen pour un LMPlanF N 20x Olympus ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic