Wanted: Wild stereo metal hood

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Rorschach

Wanted: Wild stereo metal hood

Post by Rorschach »

Also looking for one of these, again in excellent condition and in grey, not beige.
I mean the bigger one that can house a M7 or M8, not the small ones that e.g. came with M11 light microscopes.

Rorschach

Re: Wanted: Wild stereo metal hood

Post by Rorschach »

Bump. Still looking for one of these. Would be part of a field setup based on a Wild M8.

atariwarrior

Post by atariwarrior »

I would be interested in getting a field setup as well but I don't have a base that would go with this metal hood. Do you have a photo of the base I would need?

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

It's this base.
Wild M8 field cover.jpg

atariwarrior

Post by atariwarrior »

Never seen one of those before and I've been looking on EBay for years. I don't think that is an item that people will sell by itself if it is so rare.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

There's some chance of finding them. A couple sold on Ebay several months ago - but (if memory serves) at prices well over $200.

One cheap solution to carrying around an M3, M8 etc. (any with the round base) is to get a 5 gallon bucket, line it with skinned foam for a good fit and protection, and put a lid on it. This is then waterproof, offers even better protection from dropping, can be made humidity-proof with a few silica gel packs, and is as easy to carry. First time you bump it, there won't be a dent in the metal. Less likely to be stolen from the back of car as well. The same bucket format is available in several heights (more than 5 gallons), various thicknesses, and various colors. Various lids are available including easy-off, screw-tight, and slightly domed seat types. Kind of useful to have a spare seat in some mobile uses.

There's a bit more room for accessories as well. It's about 2" wider all around (around 12" diameter vs. 8" plus) and doesn't have near the cachet of the original - but also costs more like $20 than $200 and is arguably an equally or more functional solution.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic