Modified Nikon 50i Frame with Fine Focus Stepper motor drive

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

aidanmoore

Modified Nikon 50i Frame with Fine Focus Stepper motor drive

Post by aidanmoore »

I'm finally cleaning out my office and retiring the last pieces of previous Nikon 50i Eclipse microscope.

It was used as a pretend automated scope until I picked up my 90i, which now does all the automation for real.

I'm asking $75.00 for the the scope frame and it is listed on eBay below. I'd do shipping at cost for anyone here on this forum.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283432307186

I thought I'd give some background on the modifications in case anyone here was interested.

I originally wanted to do automated stacking using DIC on my 50i, but the 50i was never designed to handle the large DIC 6 position turret and the universal condenser is too big to fit under the stage assembly.

Also, the light intensity needed was higher thatn the 50i's 50W halogen lamp.

Of most interest is probably the pancake stepper attached to the fine focus, and driven by an Arduino and stepper shield.

It worked really well up to about 40X and I probably could have haved the microstepping to get reasonable 60X:

Here's a pic of the finished scope with the automated 6X DIC turret and universal condenser:

And one of the back of the unit showing the upgraded power supply for the LED.

It was a fun learning experience and my first attempt at customizing a commercial scope.

I guess my biggest mistake on this one was putting in a 100W LED with a huge surface area in place of the halogen lamp. It was hot and extremely inefficient as far as actual light getting the the condenser.

Well it worked while it was needed.....
Custom Nikon/Thorlabs Microscope Nikon Z7ii ZCAM E4

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic