Does anyone change a x10?

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

soldevilla

Does anyone change a x10?

Post by soldevilla »

I have a x10 M PLAN APO L 10/0.28 infinity lens. It doesn't seem to be of poor quality, but I'm not going to use it, because my entire system is prepared to work with non-infinite objectives. I would like to exchange it for an acceptable, finite, LWD x10. Now I use a normal lens but I find it difficult to illuminate my minerals. Does anyone change a x10?

Scarodactyl

Re: Does anyone change a x10?

Post by Scarodactyl »

Harder to get a properly good finite 10x with long working distance and good coverage--a nikon measurescope objective would be an option I guess or a finite nikon m plan/bd plan. What kind of sensor coverage do you need?
Edit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325897199606 I've had mostly good luck with this seller--probably easier to try this one out (just need to remove the shroud and cover the light channel) and then if it works resell the infinity 10x for over twice as much.
Personally though I love the much longer working distance and (sometimes) better color correction of the Mitutoyo format objectives. You might want to think about mounting a doublet behind the 10x and treating the whole package like a finite objective, would be easy with 3d printing or real machining.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Along the lines of Scarodactyl's suggestion, it could be really easy to add a tube lens in front of the camera. I freely change between finite and infinity objectives, even in the same turret. For my applications, it's trivial to interchange the camera tube with a tube lens.

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

"You might want to think about mounting a doublet behind the 10x and treating the whole package like a finite objective, would be easy with 3d printing or real machining."

This really sound as a very good idea. I have several small doublets in the drawers..

Thanks!

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Using an objective lens from a small binocular and the 3D printer I have easily manufactured the coupling between the infinity objective and my photography system. It works well and respects my distances, although the scale of the image is somewhat lower than what I achieved with the finite x10. But there is an aberration (spherical?) on the edges that I leave out of focus. You can see it in the lower right corner. Does this have a solution? I will check that I have not mounted the field lens upside down...

Now I must make something similar to a lens hood because that objective input lens, being so large, is very sensitive to contamination by diffuse light from the lighting.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

That's astigmatism/coma. Could be from the tube lens or the objective itself. Where was the lens from?

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

The lens was canibalized from a small travel binocular. It gave me a good seeing quality...

Sorry about the link, with the smartphone I don't know how to do it better

https://flic.kr/p/2pmedwn

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Hard to know if that's the issue without testing a known good tube lens unfortunately.

Sym P. le

Post by Sym P. le »

Are the lower corners raised w.r.t. the center subject? Out of plane (or should I say out of focus) sections are prone to exaggerated aberrations in lens hacks.

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Yes. I love the background defocused. This show better the main mineral. But l want smooth defocused surfaces, no artifacts that ad irreal details. But I can do the blur after, in the process.
If all the image is good focused, these artifacts do not appear.

soldevilla

Post by soldevilla »

Today I have printed a new housing in order to mount the lens I use as tube lens in its reverse position and the spherical aberrations disappear magically!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic