Natural Optics: Seeing Things From A Different Point Of View

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Harold Gough

Natural Optics: Seeing Things From A Different Point Of View

Post by Harold Gough »

My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Interesting stuff Harold! You know that Horseshoe Crab's anatomy somewhat reminds me of spiders! It has several eyes not necessarily linked and also has book lungs just like spiders!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

gabedamien

Post by gabedamien »

Well, horseshoe crabs and arachnids are both chelicerata. They are closely related.

I never knew they had 10 eyes (even on the tail!) though. Neat.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Now the thing with having multiple eyes in different locations is the animal must be able to switch between the various sets otherwise the image presented to the brain,such as it is,would be a scrambled mess. I wonder how such animals get round this? Spiders particularly as they're far too small to have a brain but rather have a collection of cells called the Ganglion
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Some of them might be better described at photoreceptors. This differentiation of function would minimise confusion.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Do all 'signals' received by the photoreceptors need to go to the creature's CPU before an immediate response is initiated?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic