RIP DPReview, especially the forums

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bob-O-Rama

RIP DPReview, especially the forums

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

Just lamenting the impending demise of DPReview. Their camera maker affinity forums were very useful, as were their specialty techniques forums. Never sell yourself to Amazon, I guess, is the lesson to be learned.

MarkSturtevant

Re: RIP DPReview, especially the forums

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I guess it got caught up in the sweep of lay-offs that was hitting Amazon. I was really bummed when I heard the news.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I visited most when I was switching my photography gear from Canon to Sony (over the course of 2-3 years). Only dipped in for the odd quick forum scan for the past 3 years though, usually looking for Sony camera or lens info. Or browsing the macro forum. It was a useful resource though, so a shame it will disappear entirely. I didn't even know Amazon owned it until the shutdown notice appeared.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I was shocked, to say the least. I have used the forums a lot for the last 25 years. Crazy, 27,000 layoffs this year alone. Hopefully fredmiranda will still be around.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Every once in a while there is good news!

A few minutes ago I received an email from dpreview.com that begins with "DPReview is Here to Stay".

It goes on to note that
DPReview and Gear Patrol Have Joined Forces
Tuesday, June 20, 2023

We continue to receive a lot of questions about what's next for the site, and we’re thrilled to share that DPReview has joined Gear Patrol. Together, we’ll continue on our site’s journey to provide the community with the great content you’ve come to expect from us. It’s a natural home for the next phase in the site, and we’re thrilled to see what we can accomplish at a company entirely dedicated to product journalism.
Here’s what will and won’t change:
DPReview Forum accounts will remain up and running.
DPReview Newsletter subscriptions will continue to function as usual.
--Rik

Rylee Isitt

Post by Rylee Isitt »

They claim that it's going to stay in operation (according to an e-mail they sent to registered forum users) but I guess time will tell. It's not enough that it stays in operation, they could easily destroy the community though changes to policy, moderation, and monetization.

I used to be a daily poster there when I first got into digital photography with a Canon EOS D60 back in the early 2000s. That forum taught me a ton about how to use a digital camera, how to use raw conversion software, colour management, printing, framing, mat cutting... back when there wasn't a YouTube tutorial for everything under the sun.

Glad to see this forum is still here, by the way. It's been several years since I've logged in and am pleasantly surprised that my account still works (and that the forum is still lively).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic