Finally, a convincing use of the Laowa 24mm 2X Macro Probe

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Finally, a convincing use of the Laowa 24mm 2X Macro Probe

Post by Chris S. »

I found this compelling: Photographer Reveals the Architecture Inside Musical Instruments.

Not "macro," but certainly "close-up." And the images evoke a world I haven't seen before. Cool!

The photographer, Charles Brooks, said he made these images “painstakingly" with (I believe) a Laowa 24mm f/14 2X Macro Probe that he "modified . . . to make it smaller." I suspect this modification involved removal of the probe lens' outer tube that holds LEDs for lighting. (I've not had this lens in hand--will welcome correction.)

Brooks said he shot with a Lumix S1R full-frame camera body, and used 100-image stacks. (He must be generalizing in a way we would not do here, but is likely appropriate elsewhere.)

Notable to me is that this Laowa probe lens has, until now, seemed unimpressive. But Charles Brooks has applied it to make images that strike me as original, story-telling, and dramatic.

--Chris S.

Scarodactyl

Re: Finally, a convincing use of the Laowa 24mm 2X Macro Probe

Post by Scarodactyl »

I agree, this is the first time I've seen a compelling use for stills with this lens. I've seen some pretty nice footage shot with it though, which seems to be the main usecase.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very interesting! I would love to have a crack at this lens.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Wow, these are extraordinary examples both of the Laowa lens use and of focus stacking! What great use of natural light too! Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Troels

Post by Troels »

Thanks for sharing this, Chris.

Very creative and artistic use of a macro lens.
I saved the link and consider bying one of the prints.
An original gift for a musician (or myself?).

Troels
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic