Mitutoyo objective and Full frame advice

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

VinodkumarSelvaraj

Mitutoyo objective and Full frame advice

Post by VinodkumarSelvaraj »

Hi friends
Greetings!!!

I have already received the advice from the forum when I started with photomicrography. Many thanks to Linden, Pau, Clarnibass, Chris, Little-field for guiding me. My set up has evolved since then. At present I am using the Nikon Epi Plan ELWD 20x and 50X on a Olympus BH2 microscope mounted with Canon Eos 80D, flash lights from the sides (picture below). In order to focus the infinity objectives on the BH2 I have mounted the raynox in-between the turret and the trinocular head. I have been taking a lot of pictures with this set up. Kindly go through the link below to see my pictures.

1. I am looking to upgrade my setup. My budget will be 2 lakh INR (2600 USD). Initially I thought to purchase a full frame mirrorless camera to replace the APSC DSLR what I have (As I also do a lot of field photography). But then upon discussion with some friends and reading previous posts, I made up my mind to buy a Mitutoyo objective. I guess, upgrading to a Mitutoyo will improve the image quality compared to upgrading to a full frame.

Even though I am little bit satisfied with Nikon objectives what I have, many times I used to get a lot of unsharp, hazed images, which I need to dehaze heavily in the photoshop raw. I see people taking excellent pictures with M plan apos. I want to improve my image quality to the next level. I do microphotography as well as field photography of diseased plants. Kindly provide your suggestions.

2. Also upon reading the earlier posts in the forum I learnt that purchasing a used Mitutoyo with sharp quality is very difficult and risky. So I decided that I would buy a new Mitutoyo if I wanted one. Also I came across the Edmund optics objectives - 20X EO M Plan Apo. They are slightly cheaper than Mitutoyo. I saw a very few post regarding this. Can I go for Edmund optics instead of Mitutoyo. Kindly provide your suggestions

https://www.edmundoptics.in/p/20x-eo-m- ... ted/16536/
https://www.edmundoptics.in/p/20x-mitut ... tive/6625/

I remember in my very first post itself, Pau insisted me to go for a Mitutoyo as it is an apochromat. But I did not have that much budget that time. I think it’s time now to buy one. Kindly provide your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Please have a look at my microphotographs.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/168438772 ... 7047377417
Attachments
51436102454_2bbeb75222_c.jpg

ray_parkhurst

Re: Mitutoyo objective and Full frame advice

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Hi VS,

I just saw this post regarding Mitutoyo objectives on FF. I am in process of doing a similar thing, see my thread on the Equipment forum here:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 25&t=44329

Ray

VinodkumarSelvaraj

Post by VinodkumarSelvaraj »

Thank you very much Ray. I could understand from your post that Mitutoyo performs better than Nikon BD. We can see the subject is more crisp with good contrast. I also understood that full frame will reduce the size of the subject for the same objective magnification with that of the cropped sensor. I would like to know the quality of Edmund optics compared to Mitutoyo, as it is slightly cheaper.
I have already gone through this post. Would like to know any added suggestions.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=44184&hilit=edmund+optics
Dear friends kindly help to make a final decision. Thank you.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

I have tried one of these EOs (well, under the Motic branding), and have two more waiting to test when I can. On aps-c the 10x was indistinguishable from my mitutoyo 10x, but their reputation is of having worse coverage when you go to full frame which would make sense.

Sm55

Post by Sm55 »

Can someone please tell me how to build an adapter for 12K camer like Blackmagic 12K (since you have an idea of how to do microphotography) to connect to Olympus microscope

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic