Macro rail taking smaller steps

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DavyC

Macro rail taking smaller steps

Post by DavyC »

I have been trying to play catch up here with hardware, rigs and just a better grasp of things. I am just at the stage to put a table together.
Had it all planned out, but before I new it, I was buying objectives. So with more reading, I was wondering whether my motorized rail could manage to cope with a minimum 0.025mm step size.
( the objective is an infinite 10x used with a Raynox 150tube lens). I thought that it might be hopeful at best.
I did not fancy splashing out on something like a new WeMacro rail.

So I mailed the maker of this 3 year old rail. I was pleased to hear that if I bought a new lead for the controller it would then work at 0.00625mm per step.
Including delivery from Belgium to the UK it was about £28.

I asked them about their products and was told they have a new macro rail coming out at the end of the month. It will go down to 0.001mm step.
I know nothing about prices etc. If you want details, best send them a message.
Have attached a pic of their upcoming rail and controller.

mve.murzins@gmail.com is the maker.
Attachments
Murzins-1-micron-step-macro-rail.jpg

ray_parkhurst

Re: Macro rail taking smaller steps

Post by ray_parkhurst »

So the "complete set incl rail, controller, power supply, all necessary cables and quick release camera adapter" is only 28 pounds? Including shipping?

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Ray,
Unfortunately no. Mine is an older setup. I was thinking I might have to change things because my older rig had a step size that would not work well at higher (x10) magnifications.
The solution from Murzins was to swap out the original control lead which would decrease the step size by a factor of 4. I can therefore stick with my old rig.

The photos I sent are from Murzins with a new product out at the end of the month. Thought it might be of interest to some here.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

So it was just the lead screw upgrade that was 28 pounds. Makes much more sense. I wondered how they could make such a system for so cheap, even if built in China.

The new rail does look interesting, so thanks for sharing it. It appears to be an "external roller" style of rail, which are not as precise as the roller ball types, but also of course much less expensive. I think there are component kits from at least one "maker" site that do similar, though most I've seen have the rollers on the inside of the extrusion.

When you quote step sizes, are you talking about full steps from the motor, or some level of microstepping?

DavyC

Post by DavyC »

Ray,
The movements are the smallest programmable travel. With my older unit, that was 0.025mm. With the new lead that reduces down to 0.00625mm.
The new unit in the photos goes down to 0.001mm.

Engineering will be a step down as you point out, but that is reflected in the price.

Have to say I was pleased that they did offer support, by offering a better performing accessory rather than trying to
sell me a whole new upgraded rail and components.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic