Look inside Sigma factory in Japan: How a lens is made

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Planapo

Look inside Sigma factory in Japan: How a lens is made

Post by Planapo »

Being a user of Sigma lenses since the tender age of 14 :) I've found this quite interesting to watch, was surprised about the fact that Sigma allow such a look inside their factory, and that there's still a lot of manual labour involved.

Maybe some of you find it interesting too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5HFLkNrbIU&t=11s

--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

RobertOToole

Re: Look inside Sigma factory in Japan: How a lens is made

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi Betty

Thanks for posting the link.

I was lucky enough to be offered a tour once as a Sigma Pro photographer (also to the Cosina factory in Nagano where I've been 2 or 3 times). As interesting as the video is there are couple of things that I video doesn't mention that I can add that are really interesting also, at least I hope others find the info interesting!

-Sigma (and Cosina) are the only lenses lines made entirely in Japan. No other brand does this (can has vowed to return all production back to Japan at some point) (Nikon recently shut down all lens production in Japan)

-At one point, at least a pre-covid, Cosina was the only manuf. on earth to have 100% all made-in-house, even glass is made by Cosina at their glass works. No other manufacturer now makes 100% all their own glass. (Minolta did previously)
(I've been told no other makers can say this, no German lens maker can say 100% made in house of they are all 100% made in Germany now)

-The Cosina office in Nagano has large glass cases filled with all the German branded, Cosina made Zeiss lenses from 80s-90s-00s. My tour participants were shocked. There are too many lines to name, almost all modern and older Zeiss lines were made in Nagano.

-Even small parts like screws and fasteners and made-in-house at Sigma (and Cosina)! They are actually very proud of this.

-Sigma hires for life, I was told the average employee has been with them for 10+ years (I met master craftsman at Cosina that have worked for them for 30 years!) Due to this they are very slow to hire new people to boost production.

-Things like manual focus smoothness and drag finishing are still strictly done by hand at Cosina, by feel, by expert honing of lens barrel sleeves. Each lens! I have cool pictures of this somewhere. They let us handle and feel the finished parts before and after honing.

-Sigma developed their own MTF testing system for QC (not featured in the video)

-All Sigma Art and Sports lenses lenses are MTF tested individually

-Canon spends huge amounts of money on factory automation for better QC (and more profit)

-Sigma's owner invited his professional photographers (I was one for almost 15 years) a seat in product planning meetings and would ask us to give him our top 10 wish list and he would review the list in the meeting with feedback. Nikon, Canon or Sony would never do something like this. Sigma's owner is very hands-on, down-to-earth but def. not a photographer #-o

I have lots of pictures from the factory trips and from multiple visits to the Nikon Museum in Japan on my hdds, that I've never posted. I did post one or two Cosina photos at some point on the forum.

Best,

Robert

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Robert,

thanks for sharing your further knowledge and insights from behind the scenes.
It's interesting to see how much the companies of North America, Asia and Europe cooperate without many of the general public knowing about it ...
I recently got the information that for some of their car models Mercedes/Daimler Benz source the engines form Renault ...

But I personally don't care about "brand" as long as the product is good and reliable ... talking of which ... your approval of the Sigma 150 f/2.8 Apo Macro EX DG OS helped me to decide for this lens, ... and I haven't regretted my purchase! :D

--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Planapo wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:09 am
Robert,

thanks for sharing your further knowledge and insights from behind the scenes.
It's interesting to see how much the companies of North America, Asia and Europe cooperate without many of the general public knowing about it ...
I recently got the information that for some of their car models Mercedes/Daimler Benz source the engines form Renault ...

But I personally don't care about "brand" as long as the product is good and reliable ... talking of which ... your approval of the Sigma 150 f/2.8 Apo Macro EX DG OS helped me to decide for this lens, ... and I haven't regretted my purchase! :D

--Betty
Glad that someone found it interesting, no really, I'm glad to see someone say so. I'm a little torn sometimes between not sharing, and over sharing! :D

Best,

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic