UV cube + LED combo

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Saul

UV cube + LED combo

Post by Saul »

Interesting idea - UV cube + LED combo
Saul
μ-stuff

dolmadis

Re: UV cube + LED combo

Post by dolmadis »

Hi Saul

I am going to expose my ignorance at the same time expressing my interest in your post and link.

From the link "Cutaway view of the U-MWU2 Olympus filter cube illustrating the optical components of the Nichia NCSU033 UV LED excitation scheme. Due to the narrow passband of the LED emission, both the excitation and emission filters were removed from the filter assembly for this work. "

Is there a benefit to DIY'ers of removing the excitation and emission filters in our quest for simple auto fluorescence imaging in photomacrography ?

Have you any components in mind from your research that I could join in with some exploration?

Best

John

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

In fact they use an excitation filter, the Hoya U-360, the original one was removed to take its place.
I don't see the point of removing the EM filter.. Even if not strictly needed it will improve the S/N ratio or at least will not disturb
Pau

jmc

Post by jmc »

Neat idea, and thanks for sharing. Minor point, but I do wish authors would check their terminology at times - Hoya U-360 is a bandpass filter (I suppose technically a dual bandpass) not a shortpass one.
Jonathan Crowther

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

jmc wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:48 am
Minor point, but I do wish authors would check their terminology at times - Hoya U-360 is a bandpass filter (I suppose technically a dual bandpass) not a shortpass one.
Strictly speaking you're right, although in this context (Nichia 365 UV LEDs don't emit under 300nm or over 700nm but they emit some violet) it acts just as a short pass.
(in fact all filters are band pass or multi-band pass if you consider a wide enough portion of the electromagnetic spectrum)
Pau

jmc

Post by jmc »

Pau wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:44 am
jmc wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:48 am
Minor point, but I do wish authors would check their terminology at times - Hoya U-360 is a bandpass filter (I suppose technically a dual bandpass) not a shortpass one.
Strictly speaking you're right, although in this context (Nichia 365 UV LEDs don't emit under 300nm or over 700nm but they emit some violet) it acts just as a short pass.
(in fact all filters are band pass or multi-band pass if you consider a wide enough portion of the electromagnetic spectrum)
I know, still bugs me though - it may be acting like a short pass filter given the nature of the light source, but the filter itself is a dual band pass. Yes, it has been one of those days - more coffee needed now :)
Jonathan Crowther

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic