Sending a dead insect?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

johan

Sending a dead insect?

Post by johan »

Hello,

I'm undergoing a somewhat unfamiliar experience of having people in continents far away from where I live offering to send me a dead insect to photograph. I have never had this before so I do not know what to advise them regarding both the legality and sensible packing. Can anyone advise?

Obviously it goes without saying that I will insist against anything endangered and protected etc, but what can I say in terms of a suitable way to package so that they're not totally broken or useless by the time they arrive several thousand miles away?

Many thanks!

-Johan
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Bathcat

Post by Bathcat »

Is the insect already pinned? In a fluid preservative? What kind of insect is it?

It's certainly possible to send a bug through the mail without damaging it, but there are different methods for different situations. As long as it is labeled as a scientific specimen with no commercial value it will get through customs okay.

johan

Post by johan »

Thank you sir (ma'am?), I was beginning to wonder if nobody else had any experience of this sort of thing!

The thing is I have a contact or two through Flickr and some of them do live in exotic locations. These are not entomologically trained people nor do I know what they'd send... so I was after some general instructions.

I've said 'matchbox, some cotton wool to support it and prevent it breaking and perhaps a drop of nail varnish removal to kill of parasites'.

I appreciate that this is very generic and somewhat homespun, but in terms of general advise for sending something, does that seem sensible enough?
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Bathcat

Post by Bathcat »

The nail varnish removal will kill any dermestid beetles that are trying to eat it, so that's a good start. Usually you want to put a beetle, butterfly, or moth into a small envelope with the locality data, then put that in a small box with plenty of cotton or other packing material to soften impact during shipment. One to two inches in all directions will suffice.

Soft bodied insects like flies, termites, etc, should probably go in a film vial with some tissue paper, then a soaking of rubbing alcohol. The alcohol keeps them soft, and the tissue paper will keep them from jostling around. Then tape it up, and pack it in a small box with cushioning.

If it's just the one specimen, this should work. If it's more, you just increase the amount of cushioning and place a soft, thick material between the envelopes. It can get more involved than that, especially if it's a pinned specimen, but it doesn't sound like it is.

Good luck!

johan

Post by johan »

Ahhhh.... fantastic, thank you very much. Sincerely appreciated.

-Johan

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I was away when this topic was posted.

The biggest enemy of such material (and live seeds) is the post office franking machine. So lots of padding, plus centring, is required.

Unmounted butterflies and moths have traditionally been "papered" for such purposes. Essentially, you make a small, home-made envelope for each (wings folded) individual from ordinary paper.

http://insectsystematicukm.blogspot.co. ... ering.html

Insects unsuitable for flat papering could be loosely packed in crumpled tissue paper in a a tube or matchbox. NEVER use cotton wool, as the claws, etc. get entangled.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic