Nikon D3200 24MP DX with wireless abilities

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

Nikon D3200 24MP DX with wireless abilities

Post by ChrisR »

SO we have the pixel density up again, in the tussle between Nikon and Canon. Sony of course have been doing it for a while.

Canon 7D/T3i density works out to about 47.3 MP on 24 x 36, D3200 would be 56 MP.
The Nikon "DX" format is 23.6 x 15.7, = 370 mm²
and Canon's "Aps-c" 22.2 x 14.8 = 329 mm²

To put it another way, if your image circle is fixed, as might be when using a microscope objective as its designer intended, you're getting
about 18.5% more pixels on it by going from a Canon (18MP) to a Nikon D3200
Or, going from a Nikon D7000 (16.2MP) to a D3200, you get 48% more.
Note these are comparisons by area - looked at as a linear figure they're (even?) less impressive, 8.8% and 21.6%.

--

For general photography, my personal preference is more towards lower noise than incremented pixel counts.
If they've managed to squeeze the physics to get better results on that, then the price tag is relatively low.

A significantly interesting feature is the wireless connectivity of this thing, something which will doubtless be inflated over the coming weeks.

(If I have any errors here do PM me and I'll correct and credit - saves cluttering up the thread.)

ChrisLilley

Re: Nikon D3200 24MP DX with wireless abilities

Post by ChrisLilley »

ChrisR wrote:SO we have the pixel density up again, in the tussle between Nikon and Canon. Sony of course have been doing it for a while.
The sensor is most likely fab'ed by Sony, and quite possibly designed by them too.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

For tethered studio photomacography, I find the combination of increased pixel density and low price pretty tempting, and doubt that noise would be much of a problem at base ISO. On the downside, living without a 10-pin remote and mirror-up shooting mode makes me very reluctant to try this body. It could be made to work, certainly, but not without hassle.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic