Neoprene pad

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Neoprene pad

Post by ray_parkhurst »

While NBR/Neoprene is not as good at vibration dampening as Sorbothane, it's still decent and can be a good alternative under the right circumstances. Unfortunately unless you have the data, software, and knowledge to do the system calculations, it's usually easier just to go with basic principles plus experiment and measurement to see what works best. To that end, I was at Home Depot today and saw a large (22x15in) "kneeling pad" for sale that looked like it could be useful as an anti-vibration base. It's 1.5" thick (!) and quite the impressive piece of foam rubber. At $15, I figured if it didn't work as a vibration damper, it would certainly work as a kneeling pad, so not much risk. Anyway, as I do tests I'll publish some results, or perhaps others are interested and will make a journey to their Home Depot. The brand is Husky, but I don't know if that's a Home Depot brand or a national brand you can get at other stores.

JayMcClellan

Re: Neoprene pad

Post by JayMcClellan »

That's an interesting idea, and being quite thick it might work better than a thinner layer of sorbothane i.e. more material in which to dissipate vibrational energy. I would guess that the optimal loading is fairly high so it would work best with small pads at corners vs. using the entire sheet, but that is only a guess based on how sorbothane is used.

Just for comparison here's a link to the sorbothane pads I used in my setup, $26 for a set of 4 pads on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbotha ... B019O6DSJU

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

JayMcClellan wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:02 am

Just for comparison here's a link to the sorbothane pads I used in my setup, $26 for a set of 4 pads on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbotha ... B019O6DSJU
Those look similar to what I use on my audio equipment. I particularly like hemisphericals since they sort of adjust themselves to the correct amount of compression.

Still a mystery as to how well these big pads might work. They are very soft, much softer than any of the sorbothane grades, so it doesn't take a lot to compress them. But they might just be like putting a system on springs, I don't know.

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

I tried egg crate foam, it didn’t help. Traffic and large trucks have increased in recent years and during certain periods on a nearby highway. The vibrations look like micro tremors when I magnify for focus adjustments. It’s not as bad late at night.

organicsprouts

Post by organicsprouts »

Thanks for sharing your find, Ray! It sounds like a cost-effective and versatile option for vibration damping or even as a kneeling pad. Looking forward to hearing about your test results, and it's always great to have affordable alternatives to explore.
Learn more about the benefits of neoprene pads for industrial applications.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

organicsprouts wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:41 am
Thanks for sharing your find, Ray! It sounds like a cost-effective and versatile option for vibration damping or even as a kneeling pad. Looking forward to hearing about your test results, and it's always great to have affordable alternatives to explore.
You are welcome! And welcome also to the forum. What is your "focus"?

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

I’m not sure why I didn’t recall I had some neoprene from another project from years ago. It’s about the same thickness as a wetsuit. I cleaned it up along with some cushion material that came with a new computer. After using several layers it had resolved most (not all) of the vibration issue. A post by Beatsy jogged my memory about it.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Marcepstein wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:54 pm
I’m not sure why I didn’t recall I had some neoprene from another project from years ago. It’s about the same thickness as a wetsuit. I cleaned it up along with some cushion material that came with a new computer. After using several layers it had resolved most (not all) of the vibration issue. A post by Beatsy jogged my memory about it.
Neoprene does have significant damping properties, which is why the Sorbothane and other companies had the impetus to optimize those properties to create their damping products. But Neoprene on its own does a very good job, and the more expensive materials, while performing better, are not absolutely necessary.

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Here's a short update. As mentioned, I used some packing material from a new computer to help with vibration. As a test, I removed it and just used the neoprene. There was a "significant" increase in vibration without the packing material so I added it back and vibrations were Very reduced. Im not sure what Dell uses to mail computers but Ive added a picture of it below. It really made a big difference.
Packing-material.jpg

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Are you sure this is neoprene? It reminds me of closed cell foam.
--- felix filicis ---

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

That's the packing material from the Dell computer. Not sure what that material is called, but for sure is much "Stiffer" than neoprene and as such must be decreasing the damping time. As with all these materials, the thickness and area, amount of compression, etc all make a big difference in how they react to vibration. The neoprene was probably not sized right for the application, but this material is closer to optimum.

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Ray, Thanks for this note!
I have been looking for suitable damping material lately, and starting today as limited special offer, the grocery store ALDI (at least in Germany) is selling yoga/sport mats made of NBR foam with the measurements
l: 190 cm, w: 60 cm, h: 1.5 cm
for just 12.99 Euro which I consider as a very attractive price.

--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Planapo wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:23 am
Ray, Thanks for this note!
I have been looking for suitable damping material lately, and starting today as limited special offer, the grocery store ALDI (at least in Germany) is selling yoga/sport mats made of NBR foam with the measurements
l: 190 cm, w: 60 cm, h: 1.5 cm
for just 12.99 Euro which I consider as a very attractive price.

--Betty
1.5cm is an excellent thickness for our purposes. Should be able to cut it to appropriate size to get good compression, which is key to damping. Such a large mat is a "lifetime" supply of material! I suggest trying different sizes to see if you can optimize the compression to get best damping.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic