Pics of LP Record Grooves

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Pics of LP Record Grooves

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I've been shooting record grooves to monitor them for wear due to playing. My first attempts have required me to cut up the record since I don't have a big enough stage, with enough overhang, to shoot anywhere on the record. I'm planning to build a 2-column system for this purpose, but for now I'm shooting pieces to see how they will come out.

First attempts...50x Mitty BD...36 shot stack:

Overall 2D view:
Grooves1_2.JPG
Zoomed-in 3D view:
Grooves6_2.JPG

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Pics of LP Record Grooves

Post by Chris S. »

Very cool.

I'm surprised that the grooves, in cross section, appear to have structure that appears stratified. Are LP blanks built up in layers?

--Chris S.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Chris S. wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:13 pm
Very cool.

I'm surprised that the grooves, in cross section, appear to have structure that appears stratified. Are LP blanks built up in layers?
No, I believe they are made as single "blanks" before pressing. Those lines may be due to an earlier process such as cutting, plating, etc, or due to wear from one or more styli. I am not sure yet, as I've only done a couple records so far. I'm hoping to develop a database of images as I've done with phono styli to learn more about the various processes.

blekenbleu

Post by blekenbleu »

Chris S. wrote:
According to "Handbook for Sound Engineers", LP vinyl grooves literally melt while styli are dragged thru them;
striations may be from debris that was dragged along with nominally polished diamond.
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, and EPIStar 2571
https://blekenbleu.github.io/microscope

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

blekenbleu wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:14 am
Chris S. wrote:
According to "Handbook for Sound Engineers", LP vinyl grooves literally melt while styli are dragged thru them;
striations may be from debris that was dragged along with nominally polished diamond.
Yes, some have done calculations that theoretically point to the possibility of melting, though it has never been proven by anyone. I'd like to get some data to show if indeed this happens. Vinyl is fairly soft, even without plasticizers, so it will deform when the stylus rubs against it. Does that damage it? Melt it? Nobody knows for sure. Vinyl does give off gases when heated above a certain temp, but those gasses are at vanishingly small volumes so tough to detect. Once it outgasses, it becomes more brittle, so should change in either sound character (noisier?) or wear "differently" the next pass of the stylus. If I can image any part of a whole record, I can try some experiments to see what happens with playback by different stylus types, amount of wear, etc. Different stylus types, with different amounts of wear, hit the groove in different places, so that might be an explanation for the "layered" look to the grooves above. I think it will be interesting, though as some audio forum members have said, perhaps "30 years too late". But there is currently a vinyl resurgence, with records recently outselling CDs, so there are indeed a bunch of folks who are interested today.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Chris S. wrote:
Very cool.

One more thing...the perspective image is not "real", just a 3D rendering of the data from the 2D. You can see this in the various distortions and such due to smoothing. It's not bad, but I do need to work on technique to help minimize smoothing required. It probably comes down more to lighting (as always) than step size, given good stability. The exposures are very long, so plenty of room for movement.
Last edited by ray_parkhurst on Wed May 31, 2023 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Very interesting topic and images.

Reminded me of a guy I saw interviewed on TV many years ago (maybe 50?). He could tell what tune was on a record just by looking at the grooves. Eyeballs only with no magnification. They presented him with a few random records, classical to (then) modern, with the labels covered up and he got every one right. Impressive musical knowledge too!

Doppler9000

Post by Doppler9000 »

There were a few attempts at commercializing optical turntables, using lasers as pick-ups.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic