Camera & adapter for Nikon E200 trinocular

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RCAguy

Re: Camera & adapter for Nikon E200 trinocular

Post by RCAguy »

Olympusman wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:58 am
Ihave been advising Robin for some time on microscopy issues...Lucky try! Hit it at 8 cm. Mik
With Olympusman's help, a helicoid and a few rings & adapters and I'm getting very good full-sensor images on a Panasonic GX9 MFT body. Now to be able to capture a burst for focus stacking.

RCAguy

Post by RCAguy »

Trinocular proto_210901sm.jpg

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Very nice! How does the captured FoV compare with what you see in the eyepieces?

RCAguy

Post by RCAguy »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:10 pm
Very nice! How does the captured FoV compare with what you see in the eyepieces?
Using the helicoid, precisely parfocal with the eyepieces at the 80mm measured by Mike. And per your prior comment, the image fills the MFT sensor without any relay lens. My guess is the 130mm chimney with lens is for a full frame SLR. I still have some adapting to secure.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

What I am most curious about is how much of the field of view makes it onto the camera sensor, which gives an idea if the objective is giving its rated magnification to the sensor or if the second lens in the chimney resizes the image to do so (presumably with a second such lens behind the binocular prism). This head seems to be designed differently from other nikon infinity heads I have worked with, maybe akin to their more complex finite head designs.

RCAguy

Post by RCAguy »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:27 pm
What I am most curious about is how much of the field of view makes it onto the camera sensor, which gives an idea if the objective is giving its rated magnification to the sensor or if the second lens in the chimney resizes the image to do so (presumably with a second such lens behind the binocular prism). This head seems to be designed differently from other nikon infinity heads I have worked with, maybe akin to their more complex finite head designs.
With an 80mm "chimney" (with no lens of its own), the field of view of the MFT camera closely matches the FOV of the 10x scope eyepieces. The photo above is made with a 20x objective about filling the frame with a micron-scale calibration slide, below. Within the 10mm range of the helicoid, the image focusses precisely.
20x of MicronSlide to MFT camera
20x of MicronSlide to MFT camera

What remains is to find a 1-1/2in OD to 1-1/4in ID ring no more than 10mm high to fully adapt the 38mm E200 trinocular to the 32mm helicoid that was intended for a telescope eyepiece. Could be a PVC pipe fitting I could saw to length and epoxy? Or this bronze sleeve on eBay hack-sawed to length...
1-1'2inOD 1-1'4inID bronze bushing-sleeve
1-1'2inOD 1-1'4inID bronze bushing-sleeve

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Bushings work fine for this sort of thing, but it's hard to beat 3d printing for getting exactly what you want affordably.

RCAguy

Post by RCAguy »

Another step - checking the Nikon 130mm phototube with lens at the bottom. Via an MFT sensor, the image appears a magnified crop, leading to speculation that this chimney was intended for a full-frame camera? If so, it is shown with a too much extension for the difference in flange-sensor distance, 46.50-19.25=27.25mm, a correction to be found today.
Nikon 130mm phototube.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic