How to type Greek letter mu (micron symbol, etc.)

Here are summaries and links to discussions for Frequently Asked Questions.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Pau wrote:Now, what about other useful symbols like infinite, alpha....? :twisted:
All symbols should now work OK if they can be copy/pasted as characters, not images.

For example if I Google search on "infinity symbol" and visit the Wikipedia page, I can copy the ∞ from the place where it says
The infinity symbol ∞ (sometimes called the lemniscate) is a mathematical symbol representing the concept of infinity.
Likewise searching on "alpha wikipedia" lets me copy/paste this mess of stuff:
Alpha (uppercase Α, lowercase α; Ancient Greek: ἄλφα, álpha, modern pronunciation álfa) is the first letter of the Greek alphabet.
Searching on "greek alphabet" lets me copy this stuff:
These twenty-four letters are: Α α, Β β, Γ γ, Δ δ, Ε ε, Ζ ζ, Η η, Θ θ, Ι ι, Κ κ, Λ λ, Μ μ, Ν ν, Ξ ξ, Ο ο, Π π, Ρ ρ, Σ σ/ς, Τ τ, Υ υ, Φ φ, Χ χ, Ψ ψ, and Ω ω.
Things like integral signs are more difficult to find because they often appear in web pages as images. For example searching on "integral symbol unicode" gets me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_symbol , where copying the first bit gets me this:
The integral symbol:

∫ (Unicode), {\displaystyle \displaystyle \int } \displaystyle \int (LaTeX)
is used to denote integrals and antiderivatives in mathematics.
In contrast, the original page looked like this: Image

The Unicode version can be resized using the forum's BBCode for font size, as in (Large, size=18) or even (Huge, size=24).

But Wikipedia's LaTeX version is represented on the web page as an image backed by some LaTeX code, which the forum software does not understand.

--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Thanks Rik,
it was so easy that I never suspected it
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic