Specimen Holder

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Here's a couple items that are available from Wemacro or you can assemble one from components from eBay. The ball heads are available in many sizes and inexpensive, this is a small size.

Best,

Mike

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Yawns wrote:I use a stage rather than a flexible arm .. I find it easier this way .. very easy to place a background...

the stage allows me to lay several diffusers very easy

for a specimen holder I use a ping-pong ball, cut in 2 halves, filled with plasticine (to make it heavy) and taped back to original position ... the ball over a metal ring ... this is a very chaeap way to have tilt and rotation virtually in any direction and makes tunning the insect positioning very easy

Can you please give some more inputs on that specific image where you have placed multiple sheets as diffusers and then a plastic tube type on the lens? How do you determine how many papers/sheets to use?

Thanks
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

SrLobo

Post by SrLobo »

Yawns wrote:
for a specimen holder I use a ping-pong ball, cut in 2 halves, filled with plasticine (to make it heavy) and taped back to original position ... the ball over a metal ring ... this is a very chaeap way to have tilt and rotation virtually in any direction and makes tunning the insect positioning very easy

Thanks for this ping pong design I changed the interior to an old mouse ball, its heavy and being round it's always kept at the bottom.

I pierced the ball with a needle, covered the interior with some tape and hold it with some blue thing used to hold posters in the walls ( blutack )

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

One of my PVC creations:

It's somewhat obscured in this picture, but it gives you some idea. The platform is attached to a mini ballhead, that allows the angle to be adjusted in concert with the angle of the PVC piece onto which it's attached. The front legs ensure that it doesn't fall forward.

elimoss

Post by elimoss »

Anyone know what the long rails are in the post above, which seem to allow the 1/4 20 articulating arms to be screwed in?

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

elimoss wrote:Anyone know what the long rails are in the post above, which seem to allow the 1/4 20 articulating arms to be screwed in?
Just noticed your question.

Generic t track from Amazon. A bunch of places sell it there.

Olympusman

Posing

Post by Olympusman »

I use pipe cleaners with either a pin or a small alligator clip on the end.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Deanimator

Re: Posing

Post by Deanimator »

Olympusman wrote:I use pipe cleaners with either a pin or a small alligator clip on the end.

Mike
I've tried using stiff single conductor electrical wire with an alligator clip crimped on the end. It still vibrates a bit. It'd probably be ok for 1:1 or lesser magnifications.

kutilka

Post by kutilka »

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

kutilka wrote:http://www.entoforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f ... %8D#p82174
kutilka » 04 zář 2015, 07:42
This unfortunately requires registration... in Czech. :)

kutilka

Post by kutilka »

Sorry.:?
The subject (beetle on the label) is always in the field of view, only the tilt changes. Unlike, for example, Novoflex.

Version adapted to magnetization on steel plate.
Prototype. (GIF)

johan

Post by johan »

same principle as my universal stage - http://extreme-macro.co.uk/universal-stage/
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

kutilka

Post by kutilka »

My device is optimized for documentary photography of insect collection specimens. :)

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Looks like goniometer without scale or gears.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

kutilka,
interesting holder, although I don't think that it could be patented...similar positioning stages have been made for a century now. I have one made by Zeiss Jena around 1960-70.
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic