macro with a Canon A580

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

canondacy

macro with a Canon A580

Post by canondacy »

hello forum,
new guy here.
stopped by for some help with MACRO

is the A580 any good at all for macro shots?
how to do it?
after reading the guide, it appears i need to be in wide mode for
the really close shot.
i picked the highest resolution setting.

but how does the focus work?
some sort of half press on the shutter button?
also read something about switching to view mode for the focus?

was wondering if i need to ebay this thing and buy something else
in the same range with better macro stuff.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The A580 looks like an earlier version of the A710 IS that I have. There's a manual online at http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/030000075 ... CUG_EN.pdf.

Yes, macro focusing mode only works at wide angle, and you need to be very close to your subject (few inches). Half press on the shutter button should auto-focus and lock focus. You can use the focus lock to reframe if necessary. If there's a manual focus, I can't find it in the manual.

I like my A710 a lot for general snapshooting, but it's not great for macro. The one big plus is that it provides wide angle perspective even for macro shots, which most macro equipment does not. See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=47448 for some illustrations.

--Rik

canondacy

pb boards

Post by canondacy »

have you ever gotten a good shot of something like a pcboard,
is it possible to examine the tiny legs and tracings of something like
that at 3-4 inches with a fixed mounted a580 you think?

so far i guess the lack of that manual focus is the deal breaker.

can you think of an inxpensive model that has it?

i saw a deal on A2200 and the article i looked at said it had a decent macro but did not say anything about manual focus.

i guess theres an addon available..probably adds a simple focus ring?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I have not investigated the current crop of compact cameras to know what's available. Historically it's been hard to find a compact camera that provides everything I've wanted: optical viewfinder (for snapshots in bright daylight), standard AA batteries, and manual adjustments for shutter/aperture/focus. One camera I know that has all that stuff is the Canon A710 IS. I like that camera a lot. It was discontinued long ago by Canon but is commonly available on eBay for under $100.

One good source for quick info about camera features is dpreview.com. Their review on the A2200 (HERE) is explicit that it does not have manual focus.

I'm not sure what's meant by "addon". Typically these small cameras provide some sort of mount for auxiliary lenses that give wider angle or more telephoto or better macro, but still the automatic focus function remains engaged behind that auxiliary lens.

Sometimes you can use focus lock as a workaround for not having manual focus. The idea is to let automatic focus do something close to what you want, then keep the shutter button half-depressed to lock focus while you reframe and/or adjust distance to subject so as to get exactly what you want.

--Rik

canondacy

manual focus

Post by canondacy »

wow, the A590 has manual focus..
silly me should have been obvious.
always a day late and a model number too short.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic