Starting Out

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

clint501

Starting Out

Post by clint501 »

I'm starting to get the hang of using the Proxxon KT70 - it's really nice for stacking. I'm using the Sony A77 and a Sigma 105mm lens. Below is a picture of my "beginner's" setup. I mounted the Proxxon on a piece of extra Corian counter top I had laying around. I mounted the other rail on the wall.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

That is an excellent ant image, especially so for just "starting out".
If you move the Proxxon to the edge of the table you can add a large diameter disc (say 3") to the control wheel. This will make it much easier to move the slide.
Also, if you mount the specimen holder set-up on the same base as the Proxxon/camera any slight movement of either will be mirrored by the other.♠
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

clint501

Post by clint501 »

Thanks - that's a good idea about the "wheel". I thought about attaching the specimen holder to the same base but after using it awhile I found that I often moved the base to get different angles depending on the size and the way the specimen was mounted.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

OK, I see your point about moving the camera to get different angles.
An alternative is to mount the specimen on a poor man's goniometer. Simply a ball-and-socket that allows for a high degree of angle-changing; PLUS
a dowel that can be rotated by twisting the extension beneath the horizontal plate, very fine angle adjustment can be made.
In my set-up below the block of wood holding the slotted bar is mounted on the stage of a microscope which allows for very accurate up-down, left-right and front-back adjustments.
Your Proxxon table will give you similar left-right & front-back adjustment.
For photographing I enclose the mounted specimen inside a foam coffee cup and illuminate with a flash.
NU12027
NU.
student of entomology
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.

clint501

Post by clint501 »

That looks good. You're giving me some good ideas to try out.

colinbicester

Post by colinbicester »

having loitered around these pages for some whilst admiring the incredible expertise, practicing a little with a jumble of precarious gear, I too have bought a Proxxon and have been puzzling how to mount my camera without it becoming a permanent feature. Could you tell me what precise bit of kit you have used illustrated in your photograph.
The ant is a great start by the way.

clint501

Post by clint501 »

I used an arca type quick release plate and attached it with standard sized bolt and nut from Lowe's.

The nut fits nicely in the slot on the Proxxon.

colinbicester wrote:having loitered around these pages for some whilst admiring the incredible expertise, practicing a little with a jumble of precarious gear, I too have bought a Proxxon and have been puzzling how to mount my camera without it becoming a permanent feature. Could you tell me what precise bit of kit you have used illustrated in your photograph.
The ant is a great start by the way.

Here's another example of what it can do.

colinbicester

Post by colinbicester »

many thanks Clint501 for your prompt reply, I will go on the hunt.
Your certainly making rapid progress.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Clint's set-up needs a rail (plate) mounted on the camera; allows for the camera to mounted on the Proxxon and on a tripod head that has a clamp.
Perfect.

I reverse the order as I use my camera on 4 set-ups and not on a tripod. Thus, I mount the clamp on the camera and have the rails on the Proxxon and the other 3 set-ups.
Only reason is that rails are considerably cheaper than clamps; so, 1 clamp + 4 rails vs. 4 clamps + 1 rail.
NU.
student of entomology

clint501

Post by clint501 »

NikonUser wrote:Clint's set-up needs a rail (plate) mounted on the camera; allows for the camera to mounted on the Proxxon and on a tripod head that has a clamp.
Perfect.

I reverse the order as I use my camera on 4 set-ups and not on a tripod. Thus, I mount the clamp on the camera and have the rails on the Proxxon and the other 3 set-ups.
Only reason is that rails are considerably cheaper than clamps; so, 1 clamp + 4 rails vs. 4 clamps + 1 rail.

Have you a picture of you're setup? I have the arca type plate attached to my camera and I just "clamp" it to the release plate or the Proxxon or the my tripod. The release clamp is only about $20.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

One of my Proxxon set-ups here:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... ht=proxxon

I like to 'fiddle' with different configurations, but all appear to work equally well.
If you search for Proxxon in PMG you will see several set-ups.
NU.
student of entomology

clint501

Post by clint501 »

Yes - I remember seeing your setup. Lots of great info there. Thanks again. Looks like you've put a lot of work into it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic