Noobie with new lens and new concerns

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Idna

Noobie with new lens and new concerns

Post by Idna »

Hi, my first post and a post I needed to make concerning my new lens, the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro attached to a Nikon D300. The concern I have is that the Sigma is a rather heavy lens to find when I affix my set up to a tripod I am experiencing lens droop to think I could do better if the the tripod mount was more central to create a balanced fixing, to need to ask what would be solution to this problem?

And yeah I have just become aware of focusing rails and can see their point to be of the consideration they are something I will explore at a later date and a later date because my lens droop problem is my current concern, But I have mentioned them because I suspect they may be part of my solution, how, not sure yet but I suspect.

Oh and the tripod I am currently using is the Leofoto Ranger LS-223c fitted with the Leofoto LH-25 Ball Head - of which I know is not the best for the best part of two kilos of set up but I think the problem is less the potential weediness of the ball head and more the mounting location.

Sym P. le

Re: Noobie with new lens and new concerns

Post by Sym P. le »

Welcome to the forum.

A tripod collar is a suggestion but I don't readily see one that fits. You might be able to repurpose one with a larger diameter and shim the difference. Specs are difficult to come by though. You're not the only one to run into the obvious dysfunction for these setups. Hopefully someone else has more direct experience with this lens.

bbobby

Post by bbobby »

Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support
Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support.jpg
NEEWER Telephoto Lens Support Bracket
NEEWER Telephoto Lens Support Bracket.png

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I have that Neewer Telephoto Lens Support Bracket. I got it for longer/heavier macro setups. It's fine for use on a tripod (presumably in the field), but that "dangly down" bit at the front is a pain in a studio setting. I had to raise my rail setup quite far above the table top to accomodate it - and the specimen mount. It was a temporary setup, A hacksaw would solve that problem, I guess, but not something I wanted to do.

FotoChris

Post by FotoChris »

Beatsy wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:39 am
I have that Neewer Telephoto Lens Support Bracket. I got it for longer/heavier macro setups. It's fine for use on a tripod (presumably in the field), but that "dangly down" bit at the front is a pain in a studio setting. I had to raise my rail setup quite far above the table top to accomodate it - and the specimen mount. It was a temporary setup, A hacksaw would solve that problem, I guess, but not something I wanted to do.
That can be mitigated by using a shorter arca swiss plate as a simple lens support. You can also turn the whole rail around so that the longer part sticks up.
In either case I strongly suggest changing the clamp for the NEEWER setup as it's really horrible, the double-clamps made by Koolehoda (?) are much better and can be safely and precisely locked at 90° angles.

joshmacro

Post by joshmacro »

Idna wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:56 pm
Hi, my first post and a post I needed to make concerning my new lens, the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro attached to a Nikon D300. The concern I have is that the Sigma is a rather heavy lens to find when I affix my set up to a tripod I am experiencing lens droop to think I could do better if the the tripod mount was more central to create a balanced fixing, to need to ask what would be solution to this problem?

And yeah I have just become aware of focusing rails and can see their point to be of the consideration they are something I will explore at a later date and a later date because my lens droop problem is my current concern, But I have mentioned them because I suspect they may be part of my solution, how, not sure yet but I suspect.

Oh and the tripod I am currently using is the Leofoto Ranger LS-223c fitted with the Leofoto LH-25 Ball Head - of which I know is not the best for the best part of two kilos of set up but I think the problem is less the potential weediness of the ball head and more the mounting location.
Hi Idna. I have familiarity with this lens as I have used it on my D750. I have never needed any support for the lens. Even though the D300 is DX, it is roughly the same weight and dimensions as the D750.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic