Formula to calculate field of view

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jobim

Formula to calculate field of view

Post by jobim »

Hi everyone, first post here.
I have an industrial camera (pixel size 3.45um, 2448x2048 px, sensor size 2/3'', c-mount).
I'm going to choose a macro lens to capture 16 and 8mm film frames. I've read that many use lenses as the schneider kreuznach componon 50mm or similiar. I'm considering a Sill Optics telecentric lens too.
Since the schneider lens has a M39 mount I should use one or more adapters (to m42 and then to c-mount I think).
How can I calculate the field of view on a such sensor size when using adapters and how can I understand if and what tube extensions I will need to get a fov of about 1cmx0.8mm ?
Thank you very much.

Scarodactyl

Re: Formula to calculate field of view

Post by Scarodactyl »

That is a pretty small sensor. I wouldn't spend money on lenses meant for covering much larger sensors. There are lots of industrial c mount lenses for smaller sensors that will cover the needed mag range, from around 0.8x for 16mm (which has a ~12.7mm diagonal to your sensor's ~10.6) to 1.6x for 8mm.

jobim

Post by jobim »

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I've been looking for industrial lenses but I've found only some lenses where I can reach the required working distance with ring extender (that reduce the resolution) or telecentric lens.
Can you give some hint?

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Maybe something like a Moritex MML08-HR65 for 0.8 and an MML15-HR65 for 1.5x (close enough to 1.6x). I have never used any of these c mount lenses, just seen them on eBay.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic