It's on the tip of your tongue

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

elf

It's on the tip of your tongue

Post by elf »

but you can't say it. Here's why: Image

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

Urgghh... Now just what exactly are we looking at???!!! :shock: You might be trying to trick us with the title....??!!

elf

Post by elf »

I don't know what it is. I thought it was an insect when I first started shooting it. It's on the tip of a fuchsia pistil.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It's the exuvium (shed skin) of an insect. Hard to tell from this angle what kind, but I suspect it's a mayfly. They have the odd trait of molting one last time after acquiring wings. As a result, you're liable to find their exuvia pretty much anywhere. I usually notice them on house surfaces (window screens, walls, doors, etc.), but I would not be surprised to find one stuck on the end of a fuchsia pistil either. Some of the mayflies are quite small when they molt this way. The ones shown HERE have already had their last molt (judging by the clear wings), but they were just the same size before that.

--Rik

elf

Post by elf »

rjlittlefield wrote:It's the exuvium (shed skin) of an insect. Hard to tell from this angle what kind, but I suspect it's a mayfly. They have the odd trait of molting one last time after acquiring wings. As a result, you're liable to find their exuvia pretty much anywhere. I usually notice them on house surfaces (window screens, walls, doors, etc.), but I would not be surprised to find one stuck on the end of a fuchsia pistil either. Some of the mayflies are quite small when they molt this way. The ones shown HERE have already had their last molt (judging by the clear wings), but they were just the same size before that.

--Rik
I think that's the perfect explanation, but I still like my alternate reality one as well :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic