wasp eye at 10X

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pau
Site Admin

wasp eye at 10X

Post by Pau »

Ichneumonid (I think) wasp, found nearly died in my bathroom
This is a test shot whith a nikon CF Plan 10X infinity microscope objective, focused whith a tele lens Olympus 200mm f4. Canon 20D
(see http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... sc&start=0 for details about this kind of setup)

Stack of 90 images whith Zerene PMax

50% crop to see resolution

100% crop of a single frame. The longitudinal crhomatic aberration is very high

My findings:
- resolution, working distance and easy to use are very good
- Lateral CA is present, but only in the borders (not visible in this images)
- Longitudinal CA is very high :shock:
- Zerene Pmax did an admirable job, not only giving a near artifact free image but also removing efectively almost all longitudinal CA :D

Rick, please move it to Equipement discussions if adequate.

Any comments and advice wellcome
Pau

Thunder

Post by Thunder »

Very nice, that last one would make a nice poster.

morfa

Post by morfa »

Great to see more images with this approach so thanks for posting Pau! I like the dreamy feel in the first image – nicely chosen depth of the stack with an unusually pleasant transition from sharp to blurry!

I have to confess that when I saw the last image I just thought "ouch, that's a lot of LoCA" but reading Thunder's comment made me reconsider and agree – it's really quite beautiful! Good to have an art major on the board! :)

ChrisLilley

Re: wasp eye at 10X

Post by ChrisLilley »

Pau wrote: - Longitudinal CA is very high :shock:
- Zerene Pmax did an admirable job, not only giving a near artifact free image but also removing efectively almost all longitudinal CA :D
Longitudinal/axial CA is indeed very high and the secondary spectrum is the classic magenta in front / emerald green behind of an achromatic lens.

I guess the objective does not claim to be apochromatic (and not all lenses which do claim it are, in fact, apochromatic).

Since axial CA is an artifact of OOF areas, I guess it should not be too surprising that stacking removes it (but the extent to which it does so was indeed a surprise, to me at least).

Joaquim F.

Post by Joaquim F. »

An excellent first contact!
It's the same lens that I'm using, some specs here:

http://www.capraoptical.com/products/ni ... cfepi.html

In the Nikkor 200 / 4 AI are also those magenta-green CAs , but that objective have that tendency in normal photography too, the Olympus behaves similarly?
Try close the Olympus to f/5.6, even at f/8 if the distance between the optics is very short, in my setup seems to decrease in some degree the CAs and general "flare" too.
I fully agree with your analysis.

Best regards (saludos)

Joaquim

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Thanks all for your comments.
that last one would make a nice poster.
Good point!, but it's already at 100%, it will be a very little one :)
I guess the objective does not claim to be apochromatic (and not all lenses which do claim it are, in fact, apochromatic).

Since axial CA is an artifact of OOF areas, I guess it should not be too surprising that stacking removes it (but the extent to which it does so was indeed a surprise, to me at least).
I agree, it's a plan achromat, but the amount of LoCA is the higher I never see. Other stacking aproaches, like Zerene DMap or Combine ZP did not remove it at the same extent.
In the Nikkor 200 / 4 AI are also those magenta-green CAs , but that objective have that tendency in normal photography too, the Olympus behaves similarly?
Try close the Olympus to f/5.6, even at f/8 if the distance between the optics is very short, in my setup seems to decrease in some degree the CAs and general "flare" too.
I will try it later, and also whith my zoom as tube lens (70-200 f4L usm IS), Rick has tried it with a cheaper one whith excellent results.
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic