Juncus effusus

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Franz Neidl

Juncus effusus

Post by Franz Neidl »

An interesting plant is Juncus effusus (soft-rush; according to my dictionary in american english: bulrush; in German: Flatterbinse). I show you its stem (caulis).

Franz

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nicely done! The cut you made shows both the frothy interior and the solid green shell.

--Rik

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

It is Soft Rush (not hyphenated in my book) in the UK.

Here the Bulrush is Schoenoplectus lacustris although Typha latifolia and T. angustifolia , the Great Reedmace or Cat's Tail and Lesser Reedmace, respectively, are often called the "Bulrush" by the general public.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Very nice, and its just asking for microscopic study! :D
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Franz Neidl

Post by Franz Neidl »

Cyclops wrote:Very nice, and its just asking for microscopic study! :D
Hallo Cyclops,

you are right, Juncus effusus is very interesting for microscopic studies!
In my picture you see the aerenchyme tissue of this plant. The aerenchym is important for Juncus effus in times of flood.

Franz

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Franz Neidl wrote:
Cyclops wrote:Very nice, and its just asking for microscopic study! :D
Hallo Cyclops,

you are right, Juncus effusus is very interesting for microscopic studies!
In my picture you see the aerenchyme tissue of this plant. The aerenchym is important for Juncus effus in times of flood.

Franz

Wow fabulous detail,it looks man made!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Excellent photos. From the looks of the magnified photo, nature beat Buckminster Fuller in originating geodesic structures.

Jim

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Jbailey wrote:Excellent photos. From the looks of the magnified photo, nature beat Buckminster Fuller in originating geodesic structures.

Jim
Ah yes Bucky balls,made famous in Arthur Clarke's book Fountains of Paradise featuring the space elevator(an idea they're actually working on!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic