Oak leaf gall

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Oak leaf gall

Post by lauriek »

I found some of these nice galls on the underside of oak leaves today, not seen this particular sort before. I couldn't get a totally satisfactory shot outside so I brought a couple in to shoot in the macro studio.

Stack of 33 images with OM50/1.8 at f5.6 on OM Bellows at around 2/3 extension. Subject around 2-3mm across.

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

This stack worked out very nicely, Laurie!

I think I haven´t seen this particular bowl-shaped form either, or is it just the highly magnified view that makes things look so unfamiliar?!
Anyway, it always amazes me how animals can influence plant tissue to grow such regular structures!

--Betty

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks Betty! :)

To the naked eye they appeared more disk like than bowl shaped...

I also found several other galls today, a couple of which I'll probably post over in the nature forum.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice. The falloff in sharpness is gradual enough that this picture still says "small subject", even though the whole subject is still in sharp focus. Without that falloff, there would really be no indication of size in the image itself.

--Rik

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks Rik!

I did actually consider shooting right through and getting the bg in focus as well, as I thought the pattern on the underside of the oak leaf was quite nice but decided not to because I generally prefer the look of these stacks if there is some focus falloff at the back..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic