Greenbottle both ends

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Greenbottle both ends

Post by lauriek »

Stacks of a Greenbottle fly, first a portrait:

And the other end:

These particular flies always seem to arrive already covered in little bits of white stuff. I was really careful with this specimen after I caught it, it went in a very clean pot on it's own, froze, thawed, mounted, shot. Not dropped on the floor once, and the sod is still covered in bits!! Also challenging because of reflectivity and hairyness... Not 100% happy with either, but primarily due to the bits of kack all over the specimen.. Having said that I do really like the colour and hairs of the thorax in the first shot - might have a go at this area next!!

First is a stack of 104 images at f5.6, the second is only 13 images, I think at f8, possibly f11. Both shot with reversed OM50/1.8. Aligned in CZP and stacked in Tufuse.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Gorgeous colours and details Laurie.

I'm assuming that 'dark' area in the second image is the 'shadow' of the lense (or where the lense blocked the path of the illumination)?

Have you used the lastest version of TuFuse Pro that Max Lyons referred to in response to a post by Péter?

www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5215

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks!

Yes I believe it's a reflection of the lens which caused the dark area. On another stack I attempted at higher mag, after a while what I'm fairly sure was a large blurry distorted reflection of the Nikon objective started to appear on the fly's bottom! The next step for my lighting arrangement is some sort of reflector/diffuser around the front of the lens, as tightly in as possible.

And yes again, this was probably one of my first stacks with the new version. I've not really had time to test directly against the old version to see how the new highlight preservation works but it certainly didn't do too badly on this image...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic