A Mitey Longhorned Beetle (New Picture added)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

A Mitey Longhorned Beetle (New Picture added)

Post by beetleman »

I was out this weekend visiting a large Flea market with the family and this .5 inch beetle landed in my older daughters hair. She let out a loud scream :smt103 and made us all jump. When I told her (and showed her) that it also had mites, and that they were probably in her hair now, she really flipped out :lol: . I placed the beetle in the cooler with the ice and took it home placed it in the freezer overnight and the mites never left the host. I wonder how they get through the exoskeleton :-k .

F/13
ISO100
1.3sec
Canon 100mm Macro with reversed 50mm
58 frames stacked with Helicon Focus

Added....A crop of the mites
Last edited by beetleman on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is great, Doug! :D

An interesting subject, no apparent stacking artifacts, sharp where it needs to be while retaining some OOF background in the beetle's left antenna, and what looks like perfect color balance.

I might wish for a bit more light from the front, but that can be challenging with some lenses.

I don't know anything about mites on beetles, but I look forward to hearing from some of the other folks about that.

--Rik

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Great image! I think the mites are phoretic (hitching a ride), although I think they would be annoying passengers to carry.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

dmillard wrote:Great image! I think the mites are phoretic (hitching a ride), although I think they would be annoying passengers to carry.
Yes. Some mites of the order Astigmata form hypopi, which have the legs modified for this purpose.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Nice stacks... but Eeeeeeeeeuw! ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic