Wing scales of Rhetus periander ("Blue Doctor")

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Wing scales of Rhetus periander ("Blue Doctor")

Post by Charles Krebs »

Fascinating the way the non-iridescent scales running along the vein change in color to maintain the color "scheme".

Nikon D200, Nikon CF 10/0.30 Plan Achromat objective on bellows. Photographed at 10X on sensor. 20 images stacked with Helicon Focus.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

WOW, there is even a big difference in the shape also. no curving on the dull scales :shock: Very nice Charles.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

acerola

Post by acerola »

It seems to me that the ordinary scales are there everywhere at the background. The iridescent scales are just a second layer. Very interesting picture.
Péter

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Really enjoying these images Charlie.

I could look at them for hours.......infact, I have literally been looking at them for hours.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Craig,

Thanks!

I have quite a few papered specimens (most go back far into the "film" days) and a small collection of other insects. In those days, using film, it was frustrating to try to capture their real beauty and intricacy because of the DOF/resolution limitations. As I have the time, I'm gradually pulling some of these out and working with them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic