Small fly stack, blue/green eyes

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Small fly stack, blue/green eyes

Post by lauriek »

I've no idea what sort of fly this is, its about 5mm long, has bluey-green eyes, quite thin body - about the shape of a small chipolata! Back of the thorax is metalic green.

I should really try to do an overview shot when it's an unknown species shouldn't I?! ;)

Stack of approx 150 images with Nikon 10x CF objective. OM bellows at somewhere around 1/2 extension iirc. Aligned in CZM and stacked in Tufuse..

Harold Gough

Re: Small fly stack, blue/green eyes

Post by Harold Gough »

lauriek wrote: I should really try to do an overview shot when it's an unknown species shouldn't I?! ;)

Actually, you may need several, showing different views/parts of the body, to give the best chance of recognition.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

A beautiful picture Laurie. Excellent detail all around. The lighting on the Proboscis is great, it shows off a lot of structure.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I am unsure of dipteran anatomy but what has been refered to as the proboscis would be the labrum in other orders.

Harold

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

lauriek wrote: I should really try to do an overview shot when it's an unknown species shouldn't I?! ;)
Yes, that would be very useful, although from the antennal structure (typical Orthorapha antenna) everything points towards Empididae (dance flies). What irritates me, though, is the metallic green pronotum you mentioned in combination with a "chipolata"-shaped abdomen. That sounds like the genus Rhamphomyia, but I have never seen any green species (?). OTOH - I am not really a diptera expert.
Harold Gough wrote:I am unsure of dipteran anatomy but what has been refered to as the proboscis would be the labrum in other orders.

Harold
What we see here is definitely the labrum. However, if my assumption that this is a dance fly is correct, then there should be a kind of "proboscis" hidden underneath the labrum, because Empididae are predators.

Cheers
Harry

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Cheers guys! If I get time I will take a couple of shots of this whole insect over the weekend, try to clear up the mystery!

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Well done, "lovely" portrait! <hee hee> Seriously, very nicely put together.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Here's a short stack of the top of this fly, don't know if this might help id him!

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

Laurie,

These are really great images. My favorite is the most recent one–it gives such a good overview of the insect. I like the shape and structure of the wing too.

Roy

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

That's better, now at least the family is clear: Stratiomyidae (Soldier Flies), but to tell a genus would be mere speculation - for a non-dipterist like me.

Very characteristic are those thorn-like structures on the post-scutellum which gave the family its name.

Cheers
Harry

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

rovebeetle wrote:That's better, now at least the family is clear: Stratiomyidae (Soldier Flies), but to tell a genus would be mere speculation - for a non-dipterist like me.

Very characteristic are those thorn-like structures on the post-scutellum which gave the family its name.
My taxonomic instinct told me they were important at some level. Easy to see too!

Harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic