Spotted Sea Trout

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marcepstein

Spotted Sea Trout

Post by Marcepstein »

Im following up on a previous post of the skin of a spotted sea trout (Cynoscion nebulosus) ... with a new image

I included the previous image again below for comparison (but also seen at viewtopic.php?f=27&t=45330&p=284782&hil ... ut#p284782 . Image #1

The previous images was taken with the EOS MP-e65 and shows the tiny spots that are not too noticeable when just looking at the fish. The second image shows the larger round black spots that are irregularly scattered on back and sides, and can been seen on parts of dorsal and caudal fins. The second image was taken with the EOS 1DM4 and ef 100mm f2.8 macro usm lens and extension tubes in natural lightening. You can see the outline of the translucent scales, several of the larger black spots and the abundant smaller spots. A picture of the fish can be seen at https://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/species/a ... atrout.jpg. This is a coastal and estuarine species that ranges primarily along eastern US and Gulf of Mexico.

Sea-Trout-Scales-12-6-22.jpg

Seatrout-skin-New-Image--2023-02-01-11.jpg

MarkSturtevant

Re: Spotted Sea Trout

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Interesting. I guess the fine striations are textures on the scales.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Thanks for the comment. The scales look almost like finger prints and translucent in the image.

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

I uploaded a slightly lower image of the fish scales and adjusted the contrast to bring out the highlights of the scales a little better. The depression line in the lower part of the image is the lateral line, a sensory organ that can detect vibration, pressure gradients and movement in the surrounding water. The darker areas are the large dark spots and the image also shows a good view of the tiny speckles too.

Marc
sea-trout-scales_32I4517.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic