A lynx spider

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

A lynx spider

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Lynx spiders are a family of free-roaming spiders that make their living by waiting in ambush in tall vegetation. A characteristic of them are their distinctively long leg spines which no doubt are sensory, but I suspect they are also useful in trapping prey. They are beautiful and interesting spiders. Most famously, there is the gorgeous green lynx spider found in the southern U.S, and I am rather jealous of those who have them about.

I had wrongly thought that lynx spiders did not live in my area since I'd never seen one. But a couple summers ago I was happily proven wrong when one turned up in my sweep net from a nearby park (btw, using a simple sweep net in tall weeds is a great way to find new things. I've learned that lesson numerous times. I highly recommend it!). It was those leg spines that gave it away. Anyway, I took my prize home and here it is. This is the striped lynx spider (Oxyopes salticus). As the specific name implies, this species is very jumpy! Jumping spiders have nothing on 'em. She hopped around all over the dining room table like a jumping bean, but then eventually settled down for pictures.
ImageStriped lynx spider by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

I had more recently purchased the Venus/Laowa 2.5-5x super macro lens, and one of my high priorities was to get another striped lynx and use that amazing lens to record their lovely face. And here, mission accomplished:
ImageStriped lynx spider by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

A close crop:
ImageStriped Lynx spider by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

Manual focus stacked from oh, about 10 pictures. Merged in ZS, and then on to Topaz Sharpen AI. Final processing and expulsion of artifacts in Gimp.

Thanks for looking!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

wwheeler48

Re: A lynx spider

Post by wwheeler48 »

Nice story and images. I like that lens a lot. Thanks

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I also love this lens, and great pictures as always.

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

Amazing detail ... I have some images of a Lynx spider nest ... will have to post at some point. Although, they wont be as clear as these.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic