Marbled Salamanders

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marcepstein

Marbled Salamanders

Post by Marcepstein »

Marbled Salamanders (Ambystoma opacum) naturally occur throughout most of the eastern and central US (Idigbio) but maybe considered invasive in western states: Ambystomatidae. These images were taken a few years ago while assisting in an amphibian survey on a wildlife refuge (Canon 1DM4 and ef 100mm f2.8 macro lens). I didn’t have much time to take pictures but were able to get a few close-ups.

They are not often seen because as adults live primarily in the moist duff of forest floors, under logs or in small burrows (mole salamanders). They are terrestrial and associated with mixed hardwood and pine forests. Larva and juveniles are aquatic. Most were found while moving between forested areas and breeding ponds.

Marbled-Salamander-1160.jpg
Marbled-Salamander-1103.jpg
Marbled-Salamander-1228-29.jpg
Marbled-Salamander-1272.jpg

Thanks for looking :!: PS. No Huge spiders attacked me or them while taking the pictures :!: :!:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Marbled Salamanders

Post by rjlittlefield »

Very nice! I especially like that last image, with the second individual and other parts blurring away into the background to give a good impression of "small".

--Rik

Marcepstein

Re: Marbled Salamanders

Post by Marcepstein »

Thanks for the comment. Many folks dont have an understanding of the upland-wetland link need for their habitat. Its not just the wetland, its the upland around the wetlands that is the adult habitat.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic