A Canon MPE-65 alternative?

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

A Canon MPE-65 alternative?

Post by NikonUser »

I wanted to see how my recently-aquired Leitz 0.32:1 microscope relay lens (about $300.0 ebay) stacked up against Canon's MPE-65 ($1,000.00). Not having the latter I looked for images of species that I might have so as to get am approximate comparison. AIP's Tachina image at 5x was a species I could almost match
HERE

The Leitz lens on a Nikon D7200 gave a decent image, you can see the fine grooves at the base of the proboscis. Overall,
the image was less 'crisp' that AIP's, but OK for my work.
Attachments
tachinid 22i23.jpg
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Marcepstein

Re: A Canon MPE-65 alternative?

Post by Marcepstein »

You could a few weeks ago get the Canon MP-e65 around $600-700 (ebay) used in great condition. Ive not used the alternative lenses so I cannot compare. The MP-e65 does take great images.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

This Leitz/Wild lens (assuming it's the same across different contexts) can sometimes be had for much less than 300 dollars as well. These results are impressive and I am excited to test mine too when I get a chance, I even have the adapters from setting one up for afocal.

AlP

Post by AlP »

Interesting comparison. You might want to try Kijiji locally for a Canon MPE 65 if you really want one. Then a Nikon to EF adaptor though I am not sure how or if it will control the aperture function. A few people buy the MPE thinking they'll get into macro and find out that it is not like a normal macro lens and give up. Laowa makes a 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X for Nikon, drawback, I believe you have to use it at working aperture.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I was also going to bring up the Laowa 2.5-5x lens as a competitive alternative to the MPE. I have the lens and absolutely love it. Its also cheaper than the MPE by a lot.

I don't think the comparison attempted here between your Leitz and the MPE here is a sufficiently controlled experiment. The set up, lighting, and species of fly are different.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Marcepstein

Post by Marcepstein »

If interested, there is a Canon MP e65 for sale on Fred Miranda’s site. Looks pretty nice.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

As far as I know, it's impossible to use an MP-E on a Nikon, unless using something like a "Z" ring which would introduce an extension it's not designed for. I am out of date though.
You'd also need a Canon body to get the lens to stop down :( . Far too much trouble!

The Canon 35mm bellows lens (out of production) Is a bit short for 1:1 but thereafter better and cheaper than an MP-E, and a lot easier to use on a Nikon.

Tests here https://www.closeuphotography.com/35mm-lens-test and
here https://www.closeuphotography.com/2x-lens-test
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

unless using something like a "Z" ring which would introduce an extension it's not designed for. I am out of date though.
Chris, there must be Z adapters for Canon EF mount, and these would use the correct extension expected by the Canon lens. The Z flange distance is much shorter than the Canon EF flange distance so it would work well. The stopping down would be a problem though.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

NikonUser wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:30 pm
I wanted to see how my recently-aquired Leitz 0.32:1 microscope relay lens (about $300.0 ebay) stacked up against Canon's MPE-65 ($1,000.00).

The Leitz lens on a Nikon D7200 gave a decent image, you can see the fine grooves at the base of the proboscis.

Hello, What was your mounting method please? Presumably the relay lens was bare to mounting thread/bayonet etc ? Adapter? Flange distance?

Thank you for your help.

Best, John

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

On the camera, the lens was mounted in a barrel 3 cm long which had a 37 mm diam thread on the far end.
The barrel simply unscrewed from the camera body.
Just screwed this into a Nikon SLR lens mount that had a 37 mm female thread. Actually, it was a very slightly loose fit, just added one layer of thread seal tape.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

NikonUser wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:36 pm
On the camera, the lens was mounted in a barrel 3 cm long which had a 37 mm diam thread on the far end.
The barrel simply unscrewed from the camera body.
Just screwed this into a Nikon SLR lens mount that had a 37 mm female thread. Actually, it was a very slightly loose fit, just added one layer of thread seal tape.
Thanks. Not surprised to hear that mounting can vary. I initially used it in a phototube arrangement.

As it came on purchase my Relay lens is fitted by a bayonet to a 4cm Leitz Wetzlar tube which ends with a L(M) mount.

I shall look for a L(M) to Canon EOS adapter to experiment. (to replace mislaid one !!)

Best, John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic